1/6th Scale Scratchbuild T-72

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
CHRISTOPOPPIN
Recruit

1/6th Scale Scratchbuild T-72

Post by CHRISTOPOPPIN »

Hello all, finally got time to post a few pics!

Over the past few months I have been working on this T-72. I've always loved the post-war-Soviet vehicles, but could never find any RC variants of them except the 1/24th no-name-brands I found, but I wanted something big! Something 1/6th! 8) But Armourtek (or anywhere else it seems) doesn't make them (or plan to either), is there *that* little interest in these very common, yet obscure vehicles??!!
But anyway, that being said, I decided to get my hands dirty and just build it from the ground up!

Before I started on the build initially (about 2 months before actually building) the first step was getting measurements of the vehicle, all the parts, bodywork etc. So, I ordered Tamiya's 1/35th T-72 for reference. Though I have heard that there are a lot of inaccuracies on this model in particular, these have been fixed thus far. The measurements were drawn up in AutoCAD and printed off.

Fast forward 2 months or so, with a plan in mind, I ordered a 2 x 1m sheet of 3mm aluminium to make a start on the lower hull. After a full weekends work of tea-drinking, jig-sawing and enjoying the weather, here is the initial result:
The major hull pieces are held together with angle brackets, which accommodate countersunk bolts with nyloc nuts.

Another day of cutting and started on the upper portion of the hull. Still much to be done!

Mistakes were made, luckily I had some car body filler to hand - godsend!

Made a mess of this one. But once the hull is complete all the countersunk bolts will be filled in to hide them, and all the seams will be filled in too to make the hull watertight.

A view from under the mudguard, being held by angle brackets.

Engine radiator, access, filter and driver hatch cut out.

A highly sophisticated form of size-comparison.. :haha:

Front armour fixture - has yet to be attached.

Started on the front mudguards. Formed out of 1mm aluminium, heated and rolled.

The T-72 (and similar vehicles like the T-54, T-55, T-62 etc.) all had storage boxes (and fuel tanks? I if I remember correctly..) on the sides, above the mudguards.
All the boxes/fuel tanks are of varying size and shape so take some time to build and stick together with JB-Weld, as of now (22.02.2015) most of them have been finished! I will post some pics of these.

The lower rear of the hull, heated and rolled out of 1mm aluminium. This won't be permanently fixed until the motors are in place just to avoid complications - have yet to place motors and electronics.

Past few weeks have been around the wheels entirely, starting with the road wheels.
The plan was to cast the wheels from resin, and so I had to make a "master" wheel to create a mold from.
Here is the master wheel, milled from aluminium. Milling is not my specialty! :lolno:
The 10mm axle, with .5mm clearance seemed adequate for this.

The two-part RTV silicone mold, made from the master above. Had a bit of trouble removing one half from another, not enough release agent was used, so had to cut it in half. Not a problem though.

The moment of truth! The finished cast. The resin, consists of two part tooling epoxy, with 40% iron powder. This gave the wheel it's grey-black colour, and significantly more weight. Said to make it more fireproof too.. (not that I need it.. :haha: )

Comparison between master and cast. Very little shrinkage whatsoever and fit perfectly against another casted wheel.

The ingredients for a T-72 tank wheel :haha: ...
Two 10mm bore bearings, 8 cap head bolts, and 8 flanged hex nuts, plus an axle and axle cap (yet to be made)

The wheel as of now - 11 more to go!
Much still to be added to the wheels, such as the rubber "tyres" and cap to cover the axle.

I'll update you all as I go along!

Chris
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: 1/6th Scale Scratchbuild T-72

Post by Tankbear »

Excellent work Chris. :thumbup:

I'm big fan of the t72 so looking forward to following this build.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Nothing like diving straight in at the "Deep End"...That is a serious amount of work that you are taking on there...
So far so good :thumbup:
Do you have any thoughts yet on the drive system for the T-72....Dare I mention the word "Tracks"
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
CHRISTOPOPPIN
Recruit

Post by CHRISTOPOPPIN »

Dietrich wrote:Nothing like diving straight in at the "Deep End"...That is a serious amount of work that you are taking on there...
So far so good :thumbup:
Do you have any thoughts yet on the drive system for the T-72....Dare I mention the word "Tracks"
Many thanks for the comments!

Yes... those... things... All sorted! CAD drawings all done, just need to mill a master copy, and apply the same princible to the tracks, as the roadwheels. Only problem I can see happening is the tracks wearing away over time, being made of a resin, as opposed to rubber or metal. :)

As for drive system, i'm *hoping* (dare i say it) i can get some sprockets of a suitable bore size to use.
Then it's just a case of milling the drive wheels, not worth casting them if there's only two...

Chris
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hi Chris, I would advise against using resin in any of your running gear, especially the tracks. If your planning on using this on anything but the smoothest of surfaces there will be failures
CHRISTOPOPPIN
Recruit

Post by CHRISTOPOPPIN »

tomhugill wrote:Hi Chris, I would advise against using resin in any of your running gear, especially the tracks. If your planning on using this on anything but the smoothest of surfaces there will be failures
I can see what you mean, the tracks *might* wear out pretty quickly when faced with running over rough surfaces. I must admit though, this resin isn't flimsy and certainly takes it's time to file down.
What other alternatives are there, since i have yet to make the tracks? All suggestions are welcome! :thumbup:

EDIT: Just to add, the drive wheels themselves won't be casted. Since there's only two of them, and as you said, more prone to failure.

Chris
CHRISTOPOPPIN
Recruit

Post by CHRISTOPOPPIN »

lposter wrote:Scratchbuild.

Metal.

Angle irons.

Carbody filler.

You are a man after my own heart.

P
...And there's more to come! :haha:
CHRISTOPOPPIN
Recruit

Post by CHRISTOPOPPIN »

lposter wrote:The only thing i will even attempt to give advice on is jb weld and aluminium.

It can fail when you expect it least. Aluminium is a bugger to "glue".
P
I know exactly what you mean! It's failed numerous times, normally due to own fault though - not putting enough on, or moisture getting into it. It's only ever used on parts which aren't "stressed" as such.
Makes a good filler though when mixed with "Body-Alu" the filler i use. :D
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

CHRISTOPOPPIN wrote:
tomhugill wrote:Hi Chris, I would advise against using resin in any of your running gear, especially the tracks. If your planning on using this on anything but the smoothest of surfaces there will be failures
I can see what you mean, the tracks *might* wear out pretty quickly when faced with running over rough surfaces. I must admit though, this resin isn't flimsy and certainly takes it's time to file down.
What other alternatives are there, since i have yet to make the tracks? All suggestions are welcome! :thumbup:

EDIT: Just to add, the drive wheels themselves won't be casted. Since there's only two of them, and as you said, more prone to failure.

Chris
Hey Chris, I don't mean the links wearing down, I mean snapping. I've seen a few people would build 6th scale tanks that went the resin route for tracks and had no end of trouble. This was on a scorpion which is much lighter than yours.

Not trying to poo poo your efforts just don't want you to be frustrated further down the road when you come to use it
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

JB Weld and not sticking to aluminium...my first thought would be the aluminium oxide layer... I believe that it oxidises very quickly to form a skin tight oxide layer that protects the raw aluminium surface below from further corrosion, unlike steel... :(
Perhaps try removing the oxide layer and even roughening up the surface before applying the JB Weld to create a better surface for it to grab onto.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished

Return to “Modern Tanks”