PLA ZTZ99 colour advice

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
johndaniel4863
Recruit

PLA ZTZ99 colour advice

Post by johndaniel4863 »

Hi everyone,

I am after a little advice on the best way to paint a ZTZ99A in 60th anniversary digital camouflage using Tamiya TS acrylic spray paints. I am guessing its best to start with the light sand patches, mask over them, then black, then mask again and then green but has anyone done this with Tamiya TS paints and can give me advice what paint colours are the best to use for the green?

Also i intend on respraying a ZTZ99 and ZTZ99A in standard paint scheme, does anyone know what shade of Tamiya TS paint best matches the green colour as i am guessing the closest would be matt black and light sand for the other two colours but the green has got me stumped at the moment!

Can anyone help?

John
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: PLA ZTZ99 colour advice

Post by ALPHA »

Sorry John...not familiar with this tank...have seen photos and videos of it.... that digital paint...if you are going to do it... check ebay first... I saw a listing for digital pattern stencils....which I would recommend unless you are super patient and willing to xacto out all those rectangles ;)

ALPHA
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hiya john

Here is some of the best and most accurate info i have found about current chineese camo colours ...

http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modl ... _id=170038

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... 352&page=1

And this one mentions tamiya colours ..but the pics seem to have gone

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... _id=206165

Iain
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:haha: :haha: :haha: That tank is so boxy ...with the digital pattern ...it kind of looks like it's made of LEGO :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

It is alpha ......

.made of lego ..or at least a Chinese copy !..lol......
johndaniel4863
Recruit

Post by johndaniel4863 »

Decided to bite the bullet today and have done my research.......

Have ordered 3 packs of Tamiya Masking sheets (15 sheets) with the grids printed on which i can mark out my patches, together with a few Tamiya Spray Cans and come up with a plan is as follows:

Paint patches of TS46 Light Sand onto the tank, mask the patches over with digital shapes of masking sheet, then spray patches of TS2 Dark Green, mask these patches with digital shapes of masking sheet again, paint patches of TS35 Park Green, mask these over as before, then spray the whole tank TS28 Olive Drab 2 then wait............ :S :S

Then hopefully peel of the masking sheet patches with a scalpel and have a digital pattern with no bleeding under the masking sheets before giving a few coats of a matt varnish as the bright green (TS35) is a gloss finish so will need toning down, then decals adding then white wall the roadwheels.

How hard can it be to do........................................??

Repainting the other ZTZ99 and ZTZ99A in standard three colour camo should hopefully be a walk in the park after this!

I will take photos at each stage and upload them as i go so if it goes wrong at least forum members learn from my mistakes, or if it goes well it can be used as a guide.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

JOHN!!! EBAY.......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Camo-Vi ... 2c79c14715

Save yourself some pain man................... get this...save the Tamiya stuff for something else

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

mcevoyi wrote:It is alpha ......

.made of lego ..or at least a Chinese copy !..lol......
:haha: Glad it just wasn't me that saw it that way :haha:

ALPHA
johndaniel4863
Recruit

Post by johndaniel4863 »

Just an update,

Took the plunge and painted the ZTZ-99 and will post images in the forum to show its final look, complete with whitewall road wheels. It just needs weathering and detailed with chipped paint etc
johndaniel4863
Recruit

Post by johndaniel4863 »

Well, finally got it painted, just need to weather it add some paint chips:

Basis of scheme, although I regret not spacing the numbers out

A few little blemishes but I am happy with it as a first attempt at digital camouflage, am contemplating a World Peacekeeper Type 92 in digital camo as a shelf mate, if i feel brave enough to go through it all again!!!

Although i do love the whitewall road wheels 8)

Return to “Modern Tanks”