billpe Leo 2A6 build

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: billpe Leo 2A6 build

Post by billpe »

So this is a problem:
Problem!
Problem!
I don't really want to file down the metal rods inside as I fear it will warp the top deck. The gap is exactly 1mm, so I've ordered some 1mm plastic card to fill the gap.
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi billpe
When you made up the shim for the turret did the shim go between the turret ring and hull or turret and ring?? :crazy: .I'm at the stage where I will be fitting the turret/ring to. On the color chart the gap below the rear of the turret is rather a large gap. Any info would be great.
Best Regards, Brian... :wave:
billpe

Post by billpe »

I've not completely decided yet, but probably between the hull and the "turret base" part. Putting it else where could interfere with the turret rotation motor gear getting full contact with the ring. The problem isn't so much the back of the turret but the front hitting a grazing of parts and the two oil coolers when its 180 degrees around.

Since I've ordered some 1mm sheets, try and make a complete disc to sit inside of the recess between the hull and the turret base and see how it works out. I won't finish it until I've filled that gap between the two hull parts so will give me some time to think.
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi Bill
Spot on with the shim for the turret made one today 2mm fitted to the recess on the hull. You have to make two small cut outs at the front of the shim so it sits down.Turret spins like a roundabout now :crazy: + the 1mm shim at the front :thumbup:
All the best, Brian...
billpe

Post by billpe »

Nice! I need to also pick up a compass cutter. I can't seem to find the one I thought I owned! I measured it up previously with slithers of card.

Since I'm waiting for delivery I put together the turret detail and the shell at the front, primed and got the green and the brown down. I left of the glass and sights and will construct separately. I'm also considering adding a panel beneath the spaced armor because you can see inside at the right angle where the main armour of the tank is. I might also add a slither down the side of the applique armour as the gap seems large. Going to look at some pictures of the real thing!
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi Bill,
Try hobby craft store if there's one near you I got my one there a long time ago. Works well I always keep a good stock of plas card gets you out of trouble I'm lucky to have a model railway shop near me
He keeps a good stock in all the time.I'm just waiting for my bits to come from Germany :D the front adjusters and the MG. got the first layer of paint the on tank yesterday looking good so far.also ordered a second crew set so I can cut the standing one down to put him in the driving hatch.i hope it all works
Out ok :crazy: .Regards, Brian...
billpe

Post by billpe »

I'll see if I can find one at lunch time, one of the only perks of working in Central London. My local store closed down sadly - the owners wanted to retire and sell the shop rather than sell the business. :(
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:wave: looking good wait till you have to put all the wires in turret, love the glass idea :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi there,
Yep there are so many wires :crazy: the motor wires are far to long I will cut them down as well as the other wires and refit any plugs I have to.I must say that this has been the best tamiya tank I have built so far :D so far I have 12 of them. Hope to do the JS2 next.
Regards to all, Brian... :wave:
billpe

Post by billpe »

I have to agree on that. It's at another level when it comes to 1:16 tanks - the hull is believably solid and items like the turret ring should be on all tanks. I have a couple of issues with a few small things like the ABS idlers but it proves that if an ABS hull is properly designed and uses high quality ABS, it can be stronger than a metal hull at a fraction of the weight, saving on the motors and gear box.

I'm looking at the JS2 as well, but I'm going to wait until it comes down in price a bit. Right now its more expensive than the Leo 2 but is engineered similarly to the King Tiger which is now very cheap.

Return to “Modern Tanks”