billpe Leo 2A6 build

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

billpe Leo 2A6 build

Post by billpe »

And so it starts....
Attachments
IMG_0094.JPG
billpe

Re: billpe Leo 2A6 build

Post by billpe »

Gear boxes done - had the obligatory "I've got one gear left over" google search. Glad I ordered some extra grease, as the two tubes you get with it are barely enough, assuming there is a little more to be used in the turret gear boxes later on.

Now on to tidy up the hull. Its a huge tank, the turret alone is almost the same length as the Tiger 1 hull. I think I'm going to have to build some new shelves or something to put it on.
Attachments
IMG_0095.JPG
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Billpe,
I really enjoy watching folks build their highly desired kits. The fun and enthusiasm is palpable. ;o) Enjoy! We have one of the best Hobbies in the wide world.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
billpe

Post by billpe »

Some work on tidying up the molding lines and attached the suspension and Impact arms. The ABS on this is not that easy to work with but feels very solid, as much if not more than the styrene and metal hulls of other Tamiya's. Now onto the wheels.

For anyone reading this in the future, make sure you read the manual when putting together the suspension - its very easy to end up with problems if you don't.
Attachments
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
Death Head
Lance Corporal

Post by Death Head »

Nice progress so far mate
Panther F, IBU2u
billpe

Post by billpe »

So will post some picture later on but I've put together and the base coat is on all the wheels, idlers and sprockets and the tub that is the lower hull is now in its base coat of NATO Green. I've also constructed the gun mantlet - I decided to add in the TBU so some of the gun mantlet has received a coat of paint so I don't have to disassemble it later on - the area around the LED housing is black. I've also ordered an AR610 rx and 4500mah battery and how to test the electrics later in the week. I'm kind of curious to see if I've constructed the gearbox correctly or if I've added to much grease. I understand it can't be put together and screwed down incorrectly but you never know.

So far it appears to be a model which has to be build in segments, so parts can be painted then put in at a later date out of sync with the instructions. Now working on the top of the hull, which I'll put together without the lighting system, paint, then disassemble, add the lighting system then reassemble for final weathering.

Just waiting on some Clear Orange and Clear Red for the lights at the back. I've also got some clear green for the ballistic glass and some sequins (yes, really) for the optical equipment which sits behind the commanders periscope.

Up till now I've used half a 23ml pot of Tamiya NATO green which was thinned down.

Just looking at how I want the final finish to look. I like the Mig AMMO Nato pin wash and filters and I think i'll highlight in oils but not entirely sure how dirty I want the tank. I'm also toying with a worn winter camouflage. The trouble is the kit is so expensive and the parts hardly easy to replace that its daunting. I think I'll buy a 1:35 version and use it to experiment on.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Bilpe,
Sequins, yes. I use em'. They are great for a number of reflective uses, equipment, light housings, a great recommendation by you. I agree with using smaller versions of the build to test paint schemes, especially on complicated builds like this. I built 2 and bought one and had another already prepainted to see which paint I wanted to use on the 'Palace' Looking forward to paint on your Leopard.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
billpe

Post by billpe »

The battery and AR610 arrived next day. rc-pitstop on Ebay is definitely a good seller! Will test out the electrics and gear box tomorrow. Turns out I assembled the gun recoil servo in a retracted position and because of the worm screw can put it to the normal position without disassembly - which I'm not doing - or plugging it in and running it once. For this I'll use an old analogue tx because frankly I don't have the motivation to program my DX6i in yet.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up so will pin wash the wheels, crack on with the upper hull then finish the base camouflage on that and the lower when they're attached, apply filter, varnish and then pin wash. Once that is done I'll paint the clear parts with clear paint, disassemble the hull and remove the gear box, build the lighting system and place that all within the overall tank hull along with the other clear parts and reassemble. At that point its just the final highlighting and weathering on the lower which I'll do at the same time as the turret.

I applied the AK Interactive NATO filter to the hull yesterday. The finish is nice and it added depth and removed the slightly powdered look of the base coat, however I'm still firmly of the opinion that Sin Industries (A Mig brand) does the best filters out of the pot. The AK one is a little too heavy whereas the Sin/Mig one is finer which is much like the Abeiltung range of oils they do, extremely high quality.
TDanny
Recruit

Post by TDanny »

Hi Mate!
Pictures...PICTURES....please...please... :D
Are you using aftermarket metal swing arms? It's a really good idea to test painting on a 1/35 scale tank. I did exactly the same when I made mine. I made a little mistake and the Revell solvent wich I used to dilute the black paint for black wash faded the base coat a bit. It's always better to test first.
I found it no problem to mask the lights when painting.I made the paint scheme with masking and I'm wery pleased with the result. Can't wait to see your Leo finished. I just love these tanks. Keep up the good work! ;)
Tamiya Leopard 2A6 • Heng Long ZTZ 99A • Tamiya Bruiser w/MFC-02 (Heavy as a tank and LOUD! lol :))
billpe

Post by billpe »

I meant to do some pictures earlier but got distracted. Will put some up tomorrow. The sprockets are now painted and the wheels are almost done. The lower hull is also done bar adding the clear parts. The convoy light will go on last. Electrics and gearbox works but the tube the gun sits in is a little sticky so need to smooth that out.

Yes, I've got the impact swing arms and idlers.

Return to “Modern Tanks”