Heng Long electronics in a Hobby Engine Leopard

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Paulie 1957
Recruit

Heng Long electronics in a Hobby Engine Leopard

Post by Paulie 1957 »

Hi All,

my son and I are recent recruits to the RC tank hobby 8) We've upgraded a HL Tiger each, now we've got an HE Abrams and Leopard, and we're trying to change the electronics in these to HL :)
Having bought the Rx board, RX18 and leads from Forgebear, we've tried mocking up the connections in the Leopard chassis, connected to a battery, speaker, vol control and two HL motors, but can't get the set up to power up at all :-<
We haven't tried connecting up the turret functions as it seems pointless when we've got no power (apparently) to the RX18. I suspect we're missing something basic here, but what? :think: We've tried different Rx boards and RX18s, with no success. There's no sound from the speaker and the motors don't run, so presumably the RX18 isn't powering up :problem:
Any and all suggestions gratefully received! :thumbup:
many thanks in anticipation

Paul and Josh
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Heng Long electronics in a Hobby Engine Leopard

Post by Tankbear »

Hi there,

Sorry I only just seen this post. I recently converted an Abrams to HL electronics so it is possible.

Few checks
with the speaker and volume plugged into the RX18 when you turn power on (by switch not remote) you should hear some noise from the speaker although quiet. If not means the problem would be getting power to the RX18 from the battery.

Double check the connections of the battery (presume is fully charged), switch and plug into rx18.

Here's a picture of inside the turret. You should be able to use it to know what each colour cable supplies when coming to wire up with out having to open the turret.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Paulie 1957
Recruit

Post by Paulie 1957 »

Hi Ian,

thanks very much for this, most helpful. In fact I've already run the checks you suggest, with no joy, although there is some slight noise from the speaker. There is no 'start up' sound though when the 'key' button is pressed on the tx, and the motors won't run either. Does everything, including the turret functions, have to be plugged in to the RX18 before the engine sounds and motors work?

thanks in anticipation :-)

Paul and Josh
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Paul and Josh.

The rx18 should work as long as you've got the power lead in and the 3 wire lead to the separate receiver board. So any extra leads just help.

Have you got the crystal in the transmitter and receiver the correct way round tx in the transmitter and rx in the receiver.

Also slim chance but the power into the rx18 is the red wire nearer the corner or the motor control? I ask because I have bought wires before and the red and black are wrong way round!

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Paulie 1957
Recruit

Post by Paulie 1957 »

Hi Ian,

thanks again :) You know what, we didn't realise the crystals were tx and rx specific, we'll check that ASAP! :{
We'll also check the motor wiring!

many thanks for your help :thumbup:

Paul and Josh
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Paulie 1957 wrote:Hi Ian,

thanks again :) You know what, we didn't realise the crystals were tx and rx specific, we'll check that ASAP! :{
We'll also check the motor wiring!

many thanks for your help :thumbup:

Paul and Josh
Don't need to check the motor wiring (if that is wrong it just go wrong way) it's the power supply wire need to check. Like I said slim chance but worth eliminating it.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Paulie 1957
Recruit

Post by Paulie 1957 »

OK, thanks Ian
Paulie 1957
Recruit

Post by Paulie 1957 »

Hi again Ian,

the problem was we had the tx and rx crystals the wrong way around :{

We now have the gun elevating, depressing and firing, but can't get the turret rotation motor to work; it is supplied by a pink and a purple wire, and the remaining wires from the HL multiplug from the RX 18 are white, orange, red and black. No combination of these connected to the turret rotation motor makes it work. Again I'm sure we've missed something simple :S but not sure what! Any suggestions would be most welcome! :D
The main motors now work, as does the sound :clap:

thanks again for your help :thumbup:

Paul and Josh
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi,

Does this help

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Paulie 1957
Recruit

Post by Paulie 1957 »

Thanks Ian,

that's great, we'll let you know how we get on :-)

best wishes

Paul and Josh

Return to “Modern Tanks”