Taigen 390 motors get very hot.

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
seb4
Private

Taigen 390 motors get very hot.

Post by seb4 »

I have 2 Taigen 390 motors installed on the latest Heng Long 3:1 steel gears in a Heng Long Leopard 2a6 with plastic tracks, sprockets, and idlers. They do 25.000 rpm. The motherbord is a Heng Long V7.0

When I do a test run at slow speed in house the motors get so hot after 7 minutes, you cannot touch them with your fingers anymore, it is too painful. After 13 minutes or so the mainboard shuts itself of.

When riding in the garden at slow speed things get a bit better.

I only connect the motors and the speaker, when in test run.

The battery is a 7.4V. 3500 mAh Li-Ion from Admiral.

With the Taigen 380 motors (18.000 rpm) I did not have these problems. Maybe it is because I applied not enough grease? Or is it just a dud?

Last question: would these motors be good for a Leo with metal tracks, idlers and sprockets?

Any help is most welcome. Thank you!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Taigen 390 motors get very hot.

Post by jhamm »

25,000 rpm is too much for 3.1 gearboxes.
The motors do not reach this speed, they are braked and thus become very warm.
seb4
Private

Re: Taigen 390 motors get very hot.

Post by seb4 »

The strange thing is that when riding in my garden, temperatures stay low for a longer time, especially when I am driving in slow mode. since the tank is now driving, contrary when I am doing a test run, where the tank is placed on blocks, you would expect things would be worse when actually driving.

Return to “Modern Tanks”