Splitting metal tracks

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
kevinwhite1957
Recruit

Splitting metal tracks

Post by kevinwhite1957 »

Guys,

I have been around the forum for a while, but haven't done anything apart from run my tank fresh out of the box. Now, I am getting ready to do a little cosmetic work on my Panzer III. I have read the thread on how to split the tracks and the lower and upper halves of the tank, but can't see any pictures.

I have seen enough pics of upper/lower halves of the tank to work out which screws to undo to split upper and lower hull. However I cannot see how to split the tank track. Is there a specific tool that you use to start to loosen the track pins? Where can I get such a tool?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
magmer
Lance Corporal

Re: Splitting metal tracks

Post by magmer »

Hi Kevin, if they are plastic tracks? Using a suitable instrument ( I use a broken dental probe) push the easiest pin towards the inside of the tank. The pins are knurled at one end for about 3mm so you can check which way they have been put on. It is by far easier to push the pin out opposite the knurled end. Hope this helps. Mark
kevinwhite1957
Recruit

Post by kevinwhite1957 »

Mark,

Thanks for this. This is the PRO version with metal tracks. Would this approach still work?
Kevin
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

yes its still the same method
regards, ice
kevinwhite1957
Recruit

Post by kevinwhite1957 »

Thank you both for your help.

Kevin
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Kevin, :~
I find that with the metal tracks they seem to have a track pin move out more often than the plastic tracks. The knurled end of the pin is on the outside of the track and it is worth just running your hand along the edge of the track to see if you can feel the ends of any pins sticking out. If you can, just push them back in again with say the flat edge of a screwdriver or a knife blade. For security in the future I placed a small blob of Evo-Stik onto the end of each and every pin link and then left to dry. Once it is dry it is almost invisible but stops the pins from coming out, especially as they are only really 'Held' in by the two small outer ends of each track link. The central parts of the track just curl around the pin and are not really held by it.
I hope that I have helped and not confused you :D
Alb.
Kevin, Can I just ask, why are you splitting the tracks ?? If it is to remove the track from the tank,then it is much easier to undo a Drive Sprocket, slid it outwards away from the tank and then 'Roll' the sprocket down the track until it is in the 'Loop' of track under the tank. The sprocket can now be lifted out and the track just pulled off the other wheels. Refitting as they say is the reverse of removal, except that you may have to compress the suspension of the first wheel at the front of the hull to enable the Drive Sprocket to pass to its position at the drive shaft. :D
Alb.
kevinwhite1957
Recruit

Post by kevinwhite1957 »

Thanks Alb. I have a Panzer III with metal gears and tracks. I want to remove the tracks and wheels, split the hull and remove the turret so that I can undercoat and paint.

Also I have just received a Tiger with plastic tracks. I wanted a project to play with. This is a tank which is damaged and I intend to use it to learn about how RC tanks are put together and attempt to fix it. I don't really know anything about the electrics so I am sure to be scouring existing posts for answers to questions as well as posting more questions of my own as I get into the project.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you have a spare track pin, place the narrow end against the narrow end of the in situ pin and give it a sharp tap, job done.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Tips and Tricks”