Tamiya plastic drilling / milling

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya plastic drilling / milling

Post by Jofaur86 »

Posterpar Estnische » Ven 30 juil. 2021 02:54

Avez-vous envisagé de percer 0,5 mm de plus et d'utiliser un tube en laiton comme manchon de palier ? Ou le 8 mm vous permettra-t-il d'enfoncer un roulement à l'intérieur ?

Posterpar General Jumbo01 » Ven 30 juil. 2021 09:45

Bonne idée, mais il peut y avoir moins de jeu si vous appuyez directement dans le plastique, mais je vous conseille d'utiliser des roulements à bride pour assurer un alignement correct et un ajustement précis. J'ai eu cette astuce de Tankme et ça marche.

No, the problem is that on the half roller in the photo, the hole is too small? and on the other half roller, there is play? actually, see if with brass tube, what possible to do? thanks for the info
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

bearings in my possession, ;)
C7ED88FD-BF86-4D2D-A724-58BEE69B8F60.png
C7ED88FD-BF86-4D2D-A724-58BEE69B8F60.png (20.55 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
are you talking about this guy ???
07D08B1D-4D5D-40A2-808E-2D225DADA6EE.jpeg
07D08B1D-4D5D-40A2-808E-2D225DADA6EE.jpeg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Estnische wrote:Have you considered drilling 0.5mm extra and using brass tubing as a bearing sleeve? Or will the 8mm allow you to press a bearing inside?
Looking at the back of the wheel, it doesn't look like there'll be much "meat" left with an 8mm hole as it is.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you are using an inner and outer bearing then buy bearings that have the inner diameter needed for your axle and drill the wheel parts to match the outer bearing diameter you want to use. I'm not sure what the difficulty is here. If you are drilling through the wheel rather that cutting a recess, a drill will be easier to use than a milling bit as it self centres.

Over the past 4 weeks l've done exactly this on 18 Trumpeter kit T34 wheels using a pedestal drill and a pack of nice new metric drills. All emerged perfect :thumbup:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Missed your reply. Simply purchase the bearing sizes you need. Yes, a flanged bearing is better if there is room and the flange assists strengthwise too. eBay will have something suitable. Search for Internal diam X outside diam X width, eg 5x10x4 etc. Flange diameters are not usually specified but expect them to be around 1mm more in diameter and add 1mm flange width. They are very low cost but if from China expect long postage time.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

;) Goodnight all,
following my many questions for drilling the pebbles of the Sherman Tamiya? I found this, fried bronze rings, the right dimensions (5/8/10) there is a slight clearance? but think of sticking them to the cyano, think that will be superior to the plastic rubbing on metal ?? what do professionals think?

https://www.tridistribution.fr/bague-br ... e-bnz.html
Attachments
3229A5E1-E7F8-4C3C-AEC1-C4D6F2AE0054.jpeg
3229A5E1-E7F8-4C3C-AEC1-C4D6F2AE0054.jpeg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Yes - 'sintered bronze bearing'.

Jofaur, you contribute a lot considering you are using a translator - thank you for being persistent. Merci!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Estnische wrote:Yes - 'sintered bronze bearing'.

Jofaur, you contribute a lot considering you are using a translator - thank you for being persistent. Merci!
Indeed a great vote of thanks for all your help to anyone that needs it.
Bushes are the very best alternative to bearings, material wise for humble modelers brass/bronze is the most available, but engineering wise there are a range of materials out there which are better for what we may need, but do not have off-the-shelf convenience ,like Orcot and Nylatron.
Rule of thumb is to make the easiest replaceable part to be the one that wears, rather than the part thats harder to obtain or replace.

Thanks again to mr Jofaur for all your ongoing advice & guidance.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:{ Hello, and thank you to you, but I'm just applying the adage "if you don't know? Ask, if you know sharing. For the language? Yes I use google translate, although sometimes I am surprised by the meaning of certain words? once posted.For bronze rings, it is the easiest solution for me, without risk of missing. Have a good weekend.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Jofaur86 wrote:...fried bronze rings...

;D
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....

Return to “Tips and Tricks”