Servo Operated Animation

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Servo Operated Animation

Post by SoCalBobS »

I'm at the stage of modifying some tanks for servo elevation and traverse, and other functions. I'm curious how others have accomplished this. What types of servos were used, what kind of linkages were employed, what transmitters and boards were used. Anything you wish to share would be appreciated.

If there is an existing thread about this, I'd be obliged if someone would direct me. Thanks!
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Servo Operated Animation

Post by Jimster »

I only have one tank (Tiger) so my help is very limited. I use a Clark servo elevation/recoil kit that includes the servos. Linkage is via gears. My board is an Elmod Fusion Pro with the extra servo outputs and my radio is a Radiomaster TX16S. I use a micro servo to move my commander’s head operated by the left slider on the radio and it also moves with turret rotation and when the tank steers as well.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello,
everything will depend on the type of electronics? if you want a system with servos, you have to forget the card and the original transmitter, and switch either to TK at Clark, to IBU2 or Elmod, ilny also has Beiier it seems to me? but for that you need a minimum 6/8 channel RX and TX set, see more? otherwise there is only the good old Asiatam system, but noisy
Asiatam,
206F0CFF-D4DF-45A6-BA50-9BB6790B98C5.jpeg
206F0CFF-D4DF-45A6-BA50-9BB6790B98C5.jpeg (42 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Clark,
9878A3E4-BCE4-4146-9C65-ED67C91DC079.jpeg
9878A3E4-BCE4-4146-9C65-ED67C91DC079.jpeg (62.85 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
there are for the latest, other vendors, 3 D ilpreesion, look at the relevant section on this forum
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I use Taigens v3 mfu which allows you to use a good hobby standard radio combo with their 6 leads connecting the receiver to the mfu.

This consumes 6 channels so if you fit, say, a 10 channel receiver you have 4 spare for other operations, such as servos. Given the superb Skyfly 10 channel system costs only around 40 quid and small digital servos under a tenner for 3 you can achieve a lot for not too much.

I used this on my SU100 build, based in a Taigen T34 hull and electrics operating gun elevation and traversing via two small servos, both connecting via fully adjustable 10th scale hobby grade suspension rods and ball joints. By cross operating appropriate channels you can retain sound files that come with the mfu.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Most aftermarket boards (and even some of the newer RTR offerings) will support servo recoil and elevation. There are a number of manufacturers that do servo recoil and/or elevation units. This is one of Clark's (actually for a Tiger) that I've repurposed to use in a T-34 controlled by an Elmod Fusion Pro board:\

I've found that linkages often end up with slop in them, geared sets fit a lot tighter. They move more smoothly and don't flop around as much when the tank is on the move.
General Jumbo01

I
"I've found that linkages often end up with slop in them, geared sets fit a lot tighter. They move more smoothly and don't flop around as much when the tank is on the move."

I'll readily confess that Mr Ram's T34/76 turret has a lot more free space than mine using the Taigen provided mechanism but l think he dismissed linkages too quickly.

I said that if you use, as l did in my SU100, steering and suspension linkages from 1/10 race cars then you'll have absolutely zero slop and joints that withstand huge amounts of "G"s with ease. If you are not familiar with these (and l don't mean the sort of Chinese cheapo buggies but Yokomo, HPI, and even Tamiya race chassis) then visit you local race club and ask for a look around a top car.

The great thing about servos and linkages is that they will fit anywhere, are small and light and infinitely adjustable. The downside is that stock tank electronics do not support real servos, you'll need aftermarket boards and radio systems. Both methods work but you do have a choice. Just don't buy rubbish!

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

My apologies General, I'd missed your comment about the adjustable suspension rods. You're right that those would be great, I was thinking of the bent-wire linkages with stock servo attachments that I've used and seen others around here using.
General Jumbo01

No apologies needed. I guessed as much re the bent wire assumption, used frequently in Chinese RC toys. Another good source of adjustable control rods is the RC boat and aircraft hobby. Usually a little lighter in construction but still adequate if you stick with quality

SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Post by SoCalBobS »

Thanks guys for all your input. I especially appreciate Raminator's photo, as that is exactly the installation I need.
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Raminator wrote:I've found that linkages often end up with slop in them, geared sets fit a lot tighter. They move more smoothly and don't flop around as much when the tank is on the move.
That is not entirely true. Z-bars, swivel eye armatures/links, are all dependent on materials, assembly and fit-up.
Example, my JCC recoil units use 0.047" piano wire Z-Bars. The design allows for roughly 0.5mm of barrel travel which is not due to the linkage, but the hole the linkage sits in. It is also pretty damned smooth IMHO.

I've also seen gears that do not mesh correctly resulting in either high resistance or slop and very easily sheared gear teeth.
I've also seen "reworked" HL airsoft units that have functional recoils and elevation setups, but are made with what was "on-hand" or easily available (aka Kit Bashed). Some well done, others not so much.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”