HL- modification of Abrams and Leopard tracks - empty links

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
abramsky
Lance Corporal

HL- modification of Abrams and Leopard tracks - empty links

Post by abramsky »

Below simple modification that I use on Abrams and Leopard tracks. For reasons unknown to me ( possibly due to material savers ), Heng Long decided that their tracks would always be empty inside :thumbdown:
Both the plastic versions ( for Abrams and Leopard ) and the metal version for Leopard have a similar empty space in each of the links ( btw, I don't understand why HL does not produce a metal version of the Abrams tracks - they only deceive customers by saying that the metal tracks for the Leopard are for the Abrams ...).
When it comes to these empty links it is so irritating that when my son rides off-road ( especially in mud, snow and on wet ground ) he always collects "tons" of dirt inside.
My modification aims to solve this problem and prevent the tracks from transporting so much dirt to the sprocket. It doesn't have to look PRO, because my son's tanks are just toys, and from 1 meter no one will notice the difference anyway :)
I used black hot glue to pour the links. In the Abrams, it looks a bit like rubber inserts, but that wasn't the main purpose.
Modification time - about 2-3 hours.
Caution. The glue is very hot - don't touch it right away!
Caution 2. Hot glue should be pressed directly into empty links cells and then wait until it cools down completely. Cut off the excess with a wallpaper knife only after the glue has completely hardened (waiting 10-15 minutes is enough).
DSCF7909.JPG
DSCF7910.JPG
DSCF7912.JPG
DSCF7917.JPG
DSCF7921.JPG
DSCF7922.JPG
DSCF7922.JPG (69.89 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
DSCF7924.JPG
DSCF7924.JPG (73.52 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: HL- modification of Abrams and Leopard tracks - empty li

Post by Ecam »

Great idea! I'm going to try that next time. The HL M4A3 tracks are the same way. I've tried a few ways with varying success. My best was GO2 glue. It was a bottle I had Lying around for years and it self leveled cured in a couple hours and primer/paint stuck to it. Only caution, when I looked for a replacement bottle on Amazon many reviews said their orders arrived already cured/un-useable, and the bottles said made in China, mine was from Germany...I think.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: HL- modification of Abrams and Leopard tracks - empty li

Post by abramsky »

Ecam wrote:Great idea! I'm going to try that next time. The HL M4A3 tracks are the same way. I've tried a few ways with varying success. My best was GO2 glue. It was a bottle I had Lying around for years and it self leveled cured in a couple hours and primer/paint stuck to it. Only caution, when I looked for a replacement bottle on Amazon many reviews said their orders arrived already cured/un-useable, and the bottles said made in China, mine was from Germany...I think.
Thank's.
Sorry. I didn't get any notification about your post.
You're right. You can use some kind of glue (eg epoxy) to fill the empty chambers and "catch" the level, but hot glue is much more convenient. It solidifies in a few minutes and the excess can be trimmed. In addition, the black color of the hot glue perfectly imitates rubber and does not need to be colored additionally.
I have already done 3 sets of tracks and my son has not lost any pad.
Important note. Hot glue must be injected from the nozzle of the "gun" straight to the bottom of the chamber - then gradually extend the nozzle until it starts to overflow (we need to get an excess). Otherwise, after filling with glue - air bubbles / voids will appear ...

Return to “Tips and Tricks”