For lovers of NiMhs

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

For lovers of NiMhs

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Nothing new if you run high capacity lipos but, like some others here, l leave lipos for high performance applications and even with every accessory you can think of fitted, your tank does not draw the sort of current a low turn brushless race motor does.

So many of us prefer to use good quality low volatility NiMhs. For years l've used Overlander sub-c packs, usually 3300 nah types but l've notice they also do very moderately priced 5000mah packs. I've pasted the link below if you are tempted.

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/over ... m-battery/
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Re: For lovers of NiMhs

Post by jarndice »

My sole reason for using Li-Pos is that I can get one to fit in the hull of a Panzer 4 which a NiMh of the same output will not and space is at a premium in such a small area.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I get that! I don't own one of those models but have had problems with other types. Have you considered building your own 6 pack of sub-Cs but wired together so that you can place them separately around the hull. It doesn't look so tidy but they might fit? Just a thought.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I have a compact NIMH battery here in my Cromwell. It would fit in the Panzer IV with ease, as the internal dimensions are not dissimilar. :think:
It's rated at 3700 mAh. and 7.2v. Three batteries are mounted on top of three others. It came from the Componentshop.co.uk
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Just to throw this out there (probably an American saying), for saving space and increasing play time I use this Admiral lithium ion battery. Much smaller and longer lasting than its huge counterpart which I show here for comparison. This photo compares the size difference (kept it clean gentlemen) between the batteries and also shows the awesome charger I use that will make life much easier for you. The charger works on pretty much everything including a car battery according to the literature. It has touchscreen that monitors every aspect of the recharging process in real time.
Google these two items or search Ebay, buy them and then thank me later after you recover from your amazement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Just to throw this out there (probably an American saying), for saving space and increasing play time I use this Admiral lithium ion battery. Much smaller and longer lasting than its huge counterpart which I show here for comparison. This photo compares the size difference (kept it clean gentlemen) between the batteries and also shows the awesome charger I use that will make life much easier for you. The charger works on pretty much everything including a car battery according to the literature. It has touchscreen that monitors every aspect of the recharging process in real time.
Google these two items or search Ebay, buy them and then thank me later after you recover from your amazement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an eye-catching gizmo, Jim :D . It has that gadget appeal that seems to be hardwired into the DNA of modelmakers- or even blokes in general: that 'must-have-one-of-those' imperative. :/ I'm already suppressing the urge to check it out. 8|
Mind you, the last time I bought an Imex/Taigen product (Tiger turret with BB barrel recoil) it cost me a king's (or even Highland Chief's) ransom to import it.
That ultra-compact LI-ION battery really is very neat. I note that some recent HL models come supplied with them, my Challenger, for instance- but they're not nearly as compact as that one is. 8O It would be possible to shoehorn two of those into a PZ IV!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

43rdRecceReg wrote: That's an eye-catching gizmo, Jim :D . It has that gadget appeal that seems to be hardwired into the DNA of modelmakers- or even blokes in general: that 'must-have-one-of-those' imperative. :/ I'm already suppressing the urge to check it out. 8|
Mind you, the last time I bought an Imex/Taigen product (Tiger turret with BB barrel recoil) it cost me a king's (or even Highland Chief's) ransom to import it.
That ultra-compact LI-ION battery really is very neat. I note that some recent HL models come supplied with them, my Challenger, for instance- but they're not nearly as compact as that one is. 8O It would be possible to shoehorn two of those into a PZ IV!
Hello guys
Here:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6ac-v ... tore=en_us
you can find me my charger.
It has everything any NiMh lover needs, and much more. Also supports:
Li-Po
Li-IOn
Li-Fe
Pb
NiCd
and it can be a programmable power supply for testing electronic circuits.

I completely cannot understand the persistence of NiMh, which are several times less efficient (for the same mAh capacity) than their younger cousins. I have been using several Hard Case Turnigy 2s LiPo 5000 mAh
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-500 ... s_products
for years and with proper use, absolutely nothing can happen to them. But the condition is proper charging and discharging and adherence to the voltage limits that LiPo batteries require. And if any of you are afraid of LiPo, you can successfully use Li-IOn or LiFe.

NiMh failed me several times due to overloading of some cells and the related packet damage. When I was charging with a fake "charger" attached to the purchased device (not RC), that is, in fact - an ordinary power supply. In NiMh some cells were still uncharged, while 1-3 could get hot, before it reaches the voltage and the charging time it should take... Effect - the battery to be thrown away.

However, I have an old Sanyo NiCd and it is absolutely fantastic - although monstrously big and heavy and I don't use it in RC.

My conclusion is this. Throw away this scrap called by the producers "charger", but in fact it is a regular power supply with a constant charging current (usually 200-500mAh) and no of any cut off cirquit, so that destroys each of your new batteries after just a few charges.
Buying one decent charger will quickly reimburse you for the cost of purchasing more and more batteries.

P.s. My son in his Leopard still (for 1.5 years) uses the original 2000mAh NiMh battery (green one), but he has never seen the original cheap POWER SUPPLY supplied. Thanks to correct loading (formatting), I was able to extend the driving time of the model in difficult terrain from 20-25 minutes to about 35-40 minutes.

Cheers :wave:

Return to “Tips and Tricks”