Sawing aid.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Sawing aid.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Tiger6 wrote:You are forgetting that I have 2 wet noodles for arms, Rob, it doesn't take long to wear both of them out :crazy: :haha:
In that case, the bench hook is the must have accessory in your workshop/work area :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Nah, band saws are much easier!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

RobW wrote:Nah, band saws are much easier!
But I don't have one of them, but what I do have is a couple of vibro saws :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

I remade my shooting board today. Which is kinda like a bench hook, but for sanding and/or planing at a precise angle.
Next to the main board is a lower section that is at a 90degree angle with the stop at the end. In that groove your plane (or in my case my sanding blocks) ride. The sanding blocks are 50x50mm square aluminium tubing with various grits of sanding emory cloth bands stuck to the with carpet tape. 

I had one of these for aaaages but I managed to lose it somewhere. So I remade it, with a few add-ons I always wanted to do with my old one. I sank in a few Tee Nuts into the base at strategic locations, and I will be making a couple of plates at various useful angles from some HPL scraps I have somewhere. Already made a template for the 45degree plate from cardboard as you can see.

Man, I love making my own tools...

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Unfortunately I was told I had to do graphic design for my 'fun' design and technology lessons *yawn*
I'm a heating engineer now so have made up for the lack of practical skills not learnt at school.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I'm a heating engineer." So you design HVAC equipment and systems? From the '50s to the '80s my father built the largest HVAC installation company in Wisconsin and my late father-in-law designed air-conditioners. However, it's not in the blood: my career was as a Professor. :/ :wtf:
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Nope that's air conditioning.

In the UK a heating engineer is someone that deals with natural gas/LPG/oil boilers and heating systems (radiators, hot water tanks, pipework including gas and water) in domestic and commercial properties. I only do domestic stuff.
We don't have many domestic properties fitted with air conditioning systems so the HVAC guys are mainly commercial.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Good point about the difference: "hot" weather in the UK is around 20C+; here in the US, even in Wisconsin, it's about 32C+. H[eating]V[entilation]andA[ir]C[onditioning] was primarily commercial and residential heating only here in the northern US until the 'fifties. In fact, in 1957 my parents had a house built and my father had it air-conditioned by a used commercial air-conditioner out of a movie theater. So from age 5 on, I grew up in an air-conditioned home, rather a rarity at the time.

Ahem, now back to your home made wondertools!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”