HL Sherman axle support bearings

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Timbo68
Private

HL Sherman axle support bearings

Post by Timbo68 »

Having followied the good advice in the T-72 axle support bearings post, I ordered some flanged bearings for my HL Sherman. Fitting was very easy - I filed very gently the edges of the axle flats to ensure that the bearings slipped easily over the drive shafts, and then, again very gently, I cleaned the holes in the hull, and the bearings were a nice tight fit in the plastic.
A bit of extra support for the metal tracks...

Search eBay for Bearing Size: MF128 ZZ 8mm X 12mm X 3.5mm.
Attachments
Bearing.jpg
Bearing.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: HL Sherman axle support bearings

Post by Estnische »

Thanks Tim, I'll be doing that - if mine ever get delivered by the post office...
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Might put some in Pershing when I replace the shafts. As I seem to have bent one
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

There used to be a kit available with a collar and sealed roller bearing to support the outer end of the drive axles. The unit and installation are covered in my M4 Firefly build. I can't remember who made them.
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Interesting - I did try a purpose-made shaped bearing for a Sherman in which a plate was to be screwed/bolted over the aperture. However, there was insufficient space between the gearbox and the hull for an easy installation. I decided that the basic bearing was the way to go, having already tried something similar on a T-72 following another post here, as, for the HL model, it was simple, very cheap, and 100% effective with heavy all-metal wheels, suspension and tracks.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”