High capacity compact LiPo for T72 and T90 6.0

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: High capacity compact LiPo for T72 and T90 6.0

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jay-Em wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:Are you 100% sure? Because I bought plenty of batteries with different shapes... Can you tell me how big is the room for the battery? Maybe I can find something cheaper for you.

Yeah, I love saving dough, lol
7 x 3 x 3 cm max. ( L x W x H )

BTW Chinahobbyline (terribly slow site btw) is also only low Mah and vèry low C-values. Mostly TX and RX packs. They will puff in high-amp applications.
I checked, with every update the hobbyking website seems to work worse and worse.

Anyway, I have not been able to find a battery with such a good mah rate.

It makes me wonder if what tamico is stating is correct or fantasy. I dont want to talk bad about them, maybe they are the most honers sellers in earth and those batteries are super good, dont know, but it is not the first, nor the second, nor even the third time I buy batteries rating a much, much bigger amp rate than what they really have...

So yeah, if you try those batteries, update the thread, I am sure plenty of people will find it interesting!.

If not, you can do as I do, to get two big quality 18650 cells, wire them together and enjoy a reliable pack with 3.500 mah. But I understand not everybody is willing to mess doing it. Is not somethign I like to do neither.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

Ah, but the problem is the tiiiiny battery compartment in the T72 and T90, so, no space for two LiIons.

The stated Amps are about correct, charging puts about 2900mah in them after the IIPo cutoff in the Heng Long Controller cuts the power.

Bottomline: They run quite a bit longer than the 1800’s Heng Long provides. With high C-values as a boon. No sudden switching-off as the HL LiIons tend to do when using the drive motors and turret rotation ànd firing bb’s. How the 6.0 controller fares under that draw on the long run, I do not know. It doesn’t get too hot. But that doesn’t mean it’s not working too hard... We’ll see.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Chinahobbyline couldn't compete, either. The best they could do in that space is 1500 mah.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Hah... found out hòw exactly they succeeded in cramming 3200mah in LiPo slush in it. The doubts about the capacity kept bugging me, so, I took a somewhat scientific :P approach :

Took a soft case Red Power 2200mah, measured and weighed it. If You fold that red power over in half, it’s shorter, but exactly the same height as the Arrowmax. Red Power weighs 105 grams, Arrowmax almost 120grams. ( same type and length of leads and connector)

Closer inspection revealed that they just connected 2 x 2 cells in parallel and stacked them. That makes sense. 1 smallish 1600 mah 2 s can be made in 6 x 3 x 1.5 cm. Stack two, and hey presto! Double capacity. Only cost is that it’s rather high at 3+ cm. Plùs the fact that 2 cells in the arrowmax, when layed-out/ unfolded, are more than 1 cm longer than any of my 2200 mah packs, enough space extra to cram-in 125mah in last-gen LiPo slush.( remember 2 x 2 cells in the arrowmax)

Clever. LiPo tech and chemistry keeps improving.

(The things that keep One occupied on a lazy Sunday.. :haha: )
john glazbrook
Recruit

Post by john glazbrook »

try this one for compact li-ion battery it comes with a Tamiya plug, and is rated at 3,500mah 2s priced at 28.49 euros plus potage and its in ther stock (no I am not there agent)website is www.motionrc
tommy tanker :haha:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Looks like that will be an ideal battery for the crusader when I get that running as space in that thing is rather limited
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

john glazbrook wrote:try this one for compact li-ion battery it comes with a Tamiya plug, and is rated at 3,500mah 2s priced at 28.49 euros plus potage and its in ther stock (no I am not there agent)website is http://www.motionrc
If the power is indeed only 3c ( I hope it’s a mis-print) You’re in for a rude awakening when You punch the throttle ànd try to shoot, or have a smoke generator running.... C-value works like this : capacity X c-value = max amp draw. In this case it can only deliver about 10 amps. That’s a bit lower than an average Heng Long plastic tank will draw with everything running. Let alone a fully metal equipped one. Driving will work, shooting will work, turret rotating will work.... until You try those functions all at once.

With my 6.0 controllers, the stock Heng Long LiIo packs often kick off the LiPo cutoff, forcing a restart of the tank. Quite annoying tbh. Hence my preference for either high capacity Nimh, or high C LiPo.

Even a humble NiMh pack can muster between 5c and 10c, up to 15c for the high quality cells.

Edit:

I finally bought two of the mentioned LiIons. They run adequately, but You can see the lights dimming when using many functions at the same time. 25000rpm Taigen motors also do not help.

They’re actually Sanyo NCR18650GA cells. Good quality, but the pack itself clearly states ‘10 Amp max’ , which explains the dimming when using a lot of functions while driving. Truth be told, it didn’t trigger the cutoff, but after a bit of driving they were quite warm. Meaning that I’m at the edge of what they can deliver.

Having said that, I think the Admiral 2SIP 18650 are ideal for stock HengLong/Taigen/Torro tanks. Especially because they’re nice and compact, actually deliver 3500 mah, and can fit everywhere.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Having purchased a T-90 with a 6.0S from Forgebear a couple of months ago (great price / service btw) l found that the stock 1800 mah pack was infact made up by a pair of 3.7v 18650 li-ion cells, the type used by vaping devices.

Looking for spares, l bought a few 4000 mah examples from Banggood. They were a deadloss, nothing like 4000 and very low amp output causing the mfu to restart often. Not to be put off, l then purchased a box of GP 18650 2600mah and these are fine. For info the tank is a 'plastic' type with the new steel gearbox.

Given time, l plan to find an alternate space for a pack of a different type.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tankme

Post by tankme »

My new T-72 was the same way. It's two 18650s and seems to be rated for 1800mAh. I have some quad cell 18650 packs that are 7Ah I'm going to try.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Tips and Tricks”