Zimmerit tutorial

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Zimmerit tutorial

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi everybody, I just published a Zimmerit tutorial on my website. I still have to correct mistakes here and there, and I will also update it with the pictures of the tank once painted, but maybe somebody finds it usefull.

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... /zimmerit/

My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Zimmerit tutorial

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've said it before, Rad, but it's worth repeating, that you have a very attractive website there, with loads of room for expansion (for hints and tips, etc). That's also a useful (and Rad-powered, take no prisoners :D ) intro to Zimmerit. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I've said it before, Rad, but it's worth repeating, that you have a very attractive website there, with loads of room for expansion (for hints and tips, etc). That's also a useful (and Rad-powered, take no prisoners :D ) intro to Zimmerit. :thumbup:
As always, thank you very much for the kind words! :D

This Zimmerit tutorial has been more of a coincidence than anything else. I did not plan to have more tanks (yes, seriously, lol) but my friend gave me that Tiger and he asked me how do I do the Zimmerit. So then I had no excuse for sharing it with everybody. ;)

I will update the entry after painting it... And I even may also write another tutorial with that. I will try to make (at least for me) new things, lets see how it goes!
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Great work Rad, a very useful resource. I'm a milliput man too and I like to put it between two sheets of clingfilm and use a rolling pin to get thin sheets that I can stick on the tank and cut to shape.
williamthedog
Private

Post by williamthedog »

Good "how to" write up. On my king tiger I got Gary Farrow to zimmerit the turret to match the hull.I chickened out. When I get my next tank I will have a go myself :thumbup:
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Post by Conan_the_Hungarian »

Your website and tutorial are both awesome, Rad! Thanks very much for all the time and effort you put into it. Great Zimmerit information.

Thanks,

John
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Any how too tutorial is a good thing, your content on the actual application is excellent. However I would ask Rad Schuhart that your overall dialog is kept neutral and consideration given to your target audience’s skill set especially those new to the forum.

According to your narrative on alternative methods I would be one of those “wealthy, lazy, putty cowboys with no patience”. Many first time modellers new to 1/16 scale tanks will at first take baby steps and use that “rubber zim “which you eloquently describe making their efforts look “disgusting”. I wonder how there feeling about their efforts now ?

I chose the roller milliput method and I am certainly not lazy, the Attak zim sheet will be used on my HL Tiger 1 Turret as it splits horizontally so if you want to access the turret internals the use of hard milliput will have to be broken if any thing goes wrong inside.

Someone with a long standing allegiance to the forum as yourself should adopt a softer script if you decide to publish a guide on a public forum but my real concern is for those new members and those who are trying to build their own skill levels who’ previous selection of materials and methods you now denigrate based upon your own bias packaged as “the Guy with patience” as you label yourself. Well bully for you. Your pre amble on alternative methods could of highlighted “Pro’s and Cons” instead of insulting people, unless of course that’s what it’s designed to do.

Teaching is the art of collective learning, you never isolate your audience. That’s the first rule of Public speaking.

Regards Gordon H
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi, thank you for your feedback I appreciate it too.

I did not want to offend anybody in any line I wrote on my website or here in the forum. I wrote everything on an humoristic way and I thought people was taking it like that.

Nowadays it seems there is nothing you can write without offending people or collectives. I write my tutorials for myself, for keeping me busy in the dead hours at job, and also for my fun. If somebody feels offended, well, that is not the intenction. If somebody enjoys it, then double win.

Nobody can make everybody happy. If you want a neutral, more professional tutorial, I am sure there are zillions of tutorials on internet, writting, explaining and mastering it much, much better than me.

And also all the opinions on my website are just my own opinion based on my own exerience. I am sorry if people feels offended, and I am sure for example the tamiya fans will hate me for what I wrote about the tamiya kits, but if I think, for example a tamiya kit or a technique is crap, I am going to write it.

But please, take it just as my opinion and in a somewhat humouristic way, not the Moses tables of modellism. I am the first lazy guy here, and yeah, quite often I walk with spurs on my boots while living on europe, go figure.

Try to have fun.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Many nuances of communications can be lost when reading text as opposed to being able to see facial expressions and voice inflections of the speaker. Some meanings can be completely lost in the interpretation.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Jimster wrote:Many nuances of communications can be lost when reading text as opposed to being able to see facial expressions and voice inflections of the speaker. Some meanings can be completely lost in the interpretation.
Are you suggesting most of us are thick or something and can't understand what he said >:<

Just kidding Jimster, how right you are.

I used zimmerit sheet to do my King Tiger and found No More Nails a superb adhesive for the job as you could use it as zimmerit paste to do any custom bits.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “Tips and Tricks”