Blue Stuff for moulding.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Blue Stuff for moulding.

Post by ronnie42 »

If this has been done before sorry. Am still thinking about 3D printers, resin looks much better but cleaning etc? PLA don't like the time taken if you don't want the build lines . Blue Stuff is clean ,reusable and the parts come out with little clean up if the mould is done well. Saved me a fortune in aftermarket parts. Example here , even the Mr Surfacer finish from original is good.
No mess , drop in hot water and you can make another mould.
No mess , drop in hot water and you can make another mould.
P2065835.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Blue Stuff for moulding.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Do you have a UK source for this? All I can find seems to have to come from Spain.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Got mine on Ebay , but that was 2 years ago. Whats wrong with Spain . I buy cycling shoes and gear to wear on the bike as the fit is good, never had any hassle with shipment.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

ronnie42 wrote:Hi Got mine on Ebay , but that was 2 years ago. Whats wrong with Spain . I buy cycling shoes and gear to wear on the bike as the fit is good, never had any hassle with shipment.
Nothing wrong with Spain, Mr silversurfer1947 is like the rest of us old boys, prefer cheaper shipping costs ;)

Edit: I think I now know why my life is incomplete. I need this blue stuff in it :D I'm guessing one can do intricate resin casts quite easily with this stuff.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's the Youtube video for it- just to flesh the product's uses out a wee bit:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

You could also try Apoxy Sculpt. That is a bit more widely available, I believe.

It’s a two-component, non smelly, epoxy that doesn’t shrink and also takes details very well. Only thing needed is to wet the part You want to copy, press it in, takeout again. Wait 30 minutes to harden, and then go about casting as You’d usually do.

Apoxy sculpt is rather versatile, and VERY good for making/adapting figures.

The réal advantage of Blue Stuff, is that it can be used over & over again by dunking it in water and microwave it for a bit. Oh, and because it remains somewhat flexible, it won’t damage the cast if You accidentally have a bit of an undercut somewhere in the original.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”