Heng Long gearbox repairs

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Andy-G
Recruit

Heng Long gearbox repairs

Post by Andy-G »

Hi All,
I would like to share the below with the group as I feel it may be of assistance to some in future.
I have been tinkering about with my HL Tiger 1 which has standard plastic gears. I found that it was very awkward turning to the left and felt wrong. I investigated the motors and gearboxes and all seemed fine at first inspection. Back together she went, and tested, still the same. Took apart yet again, tried applying power and holding back the track, on one side it wasn’t possible and track was driving strong. However, on opposite track, I could hold the track still, while motor was revving.
On closer inspection, I discovered that the pinion was spinning on the motor shaft. There was the problem.
To repair, remove motor, clean end of shaft and top face of pinion, apply a dab of solder flux to both surfaces, then using a standard soldering Iron, solder a small blob onto both faces to join.
Clean off any excess, re-assemble.
Now Tiger works perfectly.

P.S. I discovered the same issue on my HL Challenger 2 , which actually has upgraded black steel gearbox and Black motors. Did same repair.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Heng Long gearbox repairs

Post by jarndice »

This is a first class tip, :thumbup:
Perhaps a Moderator might like to move it to "Tips & Tricks" where it will have a more relevant home.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Tips and Tricks”