How Airsoft Units Work

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Max-U52
Lieutenant

How Airsoft Units Work

Post by Max-U52 »

Hi Guys. When I made the video I did it in one take and forgot something. When the rack slips off the sector gear the trigger switch is activated. If you didn't already know that, you might want to watch the video. If you did already know that, maybe not so much but you might like it anyway. 8) :haha:

Also, one of the main reasons for seal failure is BBs that are not SEAMLESS. If you can see a ring around the BB, it's junk and should be disposed of accordingly.

phpBB [video]
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Re: How Airsoft Units Work

Post by mutt71 »

I REALLY appreciate videos like this. Being a newbie, I like to watch and learn. I had heard about using good quality BB's, so I got rid of all that I couldn't verify as new and of good quality. I bought one of the new Airsoft units, as I have a problem Airsoft unit in my Panther G. I have yet to tale it apart to ascertain the issue. With this video, I am sure that I can figure out what is wrong, now that info in the video will help greatly.
Thank you very much!
Jack
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The panther G has such a small turret that they have to use a different system for gun elevation. Instead of having the Tang on the end that raises and lowers the unit from the rear it has a rail on the side. I believe you have to remove that rail from the old unit and attach it to the new one. I'll ask Erik if he has a video about that.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And I'm glad that you enjoyed the video. We've got a lot of new guys lately and I noticed at my YouTube channel that when I did that short video about breaking in gearboxes a lot of guys said that they hadn't seen anything like that, so I thought maybe it was time to brush up on some of the basics. If there's anything you guys want to see just let me know and if I can provide a video I certainly will. I'm not a pro, or anything like that, but I have a bunch of tanks and a video camera so what the hell. @) :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey Jack, I checked with Eric and the panther G does have that channel on the side of the unit. You can't remove the channel from the old unit because it will break so you have to get a new channel. Eric is checking right now to see exactly which unit will come with the channel and as soon as he lets me know I'll pass that along. Wait, just heard back. You want the airsoft unit for the taigen Sherman. That unit is exactly the same as what comes in the Panther, and it comes with the new channel. Eric is going to see if he can find me some photos or video on changing that unit and as soon as I see them, you'll see them.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

The Heng Long Sherman (dual sound) has a bb unit with the channel I believe moulded on the side, it has an up and down elevation unit on the side rather than cycling through, I wonder if they are interchangeable?
I can take a Heng Long turret apart and take pictures if anyone is interested?

Great videos Gary :thumbup:

And as for your gearbox running in video, you were spot on :thumbup:
I've run in many brushed slot car motors within a pot of white spirit so that the motors get cleaned out while they are wearing the carbon down.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A sage, nicely phrased, and welcome presentation, as usual, Gary :)
:thumbup: Refresher courses in the basics can improve the old, jaded, problem-solving faculties a tad. :D Those.. :/".../uhmm, 'I'd forgotten that!' moments. They're also helpful to stumped newbies.
As an incidental, the HL StuG 111 also takes the same elevation unit as the Sherman and Panther G (whereby the elevation arm/activation rod runs in a channel).
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I have a panther G of my own and the airsoft unit in it, while not completely horrible, is still pretty weak so I want to replace it. When I do I'll make a video showing the whole process of replacing an airsoft unit in a panther G tank. I should have a replacement unit in about 2 weeks.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And thanks for the kind words, guys. It's always nice to know that the videos are useful to someone.
ChobLord
Recruit

Post by ChobLord »

Hi , the seal on my HL airsoft unit ended up partly ingested into the barrel , with two jammed BB's . I'm new to the RC tank hobby, and have taken heed on the quality of the pellets B| . I managed to retrieve the seal & it looks OK , I'm taking it goes round the end of the metal barrel , but does it go on fully flush with the end of the barrel , or does it overhang slightly ? Any pictures would be great :thumbup: :clap:

Return to “Tips and Tricks”