Death of a Gearbox Part 2 - The Resurrection

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Death of a Gearbox Part 2 - The Resurrection

Post by Max-U52 »

A while back I made a video where I caught the death of the left side gearbox in my Taigen Pershing, so I thought I'd document the ressurection of my M-26. This is the original video

phpBB [video]

And these are the repairs

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

And another shot of breaking in the gearboxes

phpBB [video]

And the rest of the repair

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Hopefully someone will pick up a tip or two from all that. It's just good to have my M-26 fit for battle again.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Death of a Gearbox Part 2 - The Resurrection

Post by Max-U52 »

One thing I forgot to mention is why I like that style syringe for smoke fluid. If you look close you'll see the plunger is one solid piece of plastic, and does not have the black rubber piece on the end that most syringes do. That black rubber tends to get swelled up by the smoke fluid and that means syringes with the black rubber don't last very long at all. Since the ones from Kroger don't have the rubber they don't swell and i have yet to wear one out. They also make it very easy to measure out the fluid to prevent over-filling.

Hope that helps. 8)

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

To me, this is a great tutorial. Being a newbie, I am tying to learn as much as I can about these tanks as I can. I just replaced my Heng Long King Tiger gearboxes with the same ones that you use in your Pershing. I have zero time on them. I knew nothing about gearbox break in time until now. I wish that there was a central location here, that people like myself could go to to learn these things. This knowledge is crucial! Thank you very much for this tutorial. Your taking the time to record this is fantastic. I look forward to earning more from you.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Eastern Front wrote:Carpet Is EVIL! That is why I removed all my carpet! Besides, wood looks so much nicer!
Now THAT'S a dedicated RC Tanker!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Funny. I pulled out all our carpet as well. The hardwood floor underneath is a beautiful honey color. My wife’s great grandparents designed and built this house in 1941 and the workmanship is amazing.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

Max-U52 wrote:One thing I forgot to mention is why I like that style syringe for smoke fluid. If you look close you'll see the plunger is one solid piece of plastic, and does not have the black rubber piece on the end that most syringes do. That black rubber tends to get swelled up by the smoke fluid and that means syringes with the black rubber don't last very long at all. Since the ones from Kroger don't have the rubber they don't swell and i have yet to wear one out. They also make it very easy to measure out the fluid to prevent over-filling.

Hope that helps. 8)

:wave:
..Or use plain baby oil. That’s usually just glycerine, and cheap. Performance afa smoke production is imho better than the whispy heng long oil puffs. Only disadvantage is that the room tends to smell like a maternity ward after a bit.. :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I've tried the baby oil, I've tried making my own with distilled water and glycerin, after all that I decided I like the Mega Steam best and I now get it in the large, economy size. :haha: :haha:
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Ah, yes that works too.. :P

Biggest advantage of megasteam : no baby smell.. they even got diesel, I discovered.

Where do You get the big economy sized bottles? Over here in the EU I can only find the expensive tiny ones.
Even ìf nabbed by customs, I bèt it’s cheaper to order from the USA.

( before things like Apoxie sculpt and such were available over here, I ordered quite a few bits & bobs for diorama building and sculpting from the USA, never too expensive, different choices from the usual Faller and Busch offerings and never got nabbed by customs, funny enough, so I have good hopes.. :P Oh, and You guys have the good habit of stuffing small parts in an envelope for $2.50 shipping instead of the one-size-payment they tend to do here, even for small parts One often has to swallow €13.- or more in shipping. From the UK even up to €30.- :'(
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I just checked and the 8 ounce bottle has gone up to $18, and I'm not sure about shipping but I doubt it's free. You'd have to email them or message them at their site

http://megasteam.com/index.html

Hope that helps.
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Max-U52 wrote:I just checked and the 8 ounce bottle has gone up to $18, and I'm not sure about shipping but I doubt it's free. You'd have to email them or message them at their site

http://megasteam.com/index.html

Hope that helps.
Dagnabbit!! “Due to restrictions, WE CANNOT SHIP TO INTERNATIONAL DESTINATIONS.”

Same for the usual UK suppliers..

Babyoil it is, then. Works too, but diesel smell would be nice.. or the more unusual smells like lavender .. hmm.. maybe the smoke-oil used in room steamers/refreshers would work..

Return to “Tips and Tricks”