Battery compartment door latch

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: Battery compartment door latch

Post by capt midnight »

Jarndice, I've been using Gorilla brand super glue. I've only ever had to reglue 2 or 3 magnets. Seems like if you let it slam shut it breaks the glue. I'll have to give the countersunk magnets a try!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

capt midnight wrote:I've modded all of mine with rare earth magnets holding the upper to the hull. All you have to do is pull it apart and rotate the upper 90 degrees and sit it on the hull. Beats turning it on it's side, or even upside down.

Here's the inside of my Stug III. It's laid out the same as my Pz III. When I got it, the battery door was missing, so I replaced it with a piece of sheet plastic. Notice you now have a lot more room in the hull, and can run a standard size pack instead of the smaller one that come with it.
20181029_111922.jpg
The magnets make it so much easier to change the battery or do maintenance.

ALWAYS remove the batteries from the tank when charging! LiPo's can burn, and burn extremely hot. I've seen NiCad batteries vent when charging as well. They aaren't as hot as the LiPo's, but will still burn a tank up.

Bill
Looking at the picture I see where you’ve installed what appears to be locating pins. What did you use I can’t identify them.Also Did you need to shorten the the screw towers so the two hull pieces fit together properly?
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

capt midnight wrote:Jarndice, I've been using Gorilla brand super glue. I've only ever had to reglue 2 or 3 magnets. Seems like if you let it slam shut it breaks the glue. I'll have to give the countersunk magnets a try!

Bill
First, I want to thank Bill for the tip!

I also use Gorilla Brand Super Glue. I also use Zip Kicker super glue accelerator to instantly bond the magnet to the lower hull and then to the upper hull once I have dry fit the magnets first.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

mutt71 wrote:
capt midnight wrote:Jarndice, I've been using Gorilla brand super glue. I've only ever had to reglue 2 or 3 magnets. Seems like if you let it slam shut it breaks the glue. I'll have to give the countersunk magnets a try!

Bill
First, I want to thank Bill for the tip!

I also use Gorilla Brand Super Glue. I also use Zip Kicker super glue accelerator to instantly bond the magnet to the lower hull and then to the upper hull once I have dry fit the magnets first.

What he said!! :thumbup: Forgot to mention the accelerator. :{

You do have to shorten the stand off a bit, just the thickness of the 2 magnets. In the case of the ones I use, that is 3mm. Measure this AFTER you remove the raised ring on the standoffs. These are used to aline the standoff posts.

The guide pins I used are just copper wire. The solid core stuff that use for house wiring. I can't remember right off the bat what gauge it is. I'm thinking it was 12. Just make sure it'll fit easily into the center hole of what ever magnets you're using. The copper is not magnetic, so it doesn't want to pull as you aline the upper and lower.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS

Return to “Tips and Tricks”