AK METAL BURNISHING FOR TRACKS

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

AK METAL BURNISHING FOR TRACKS

Post by ronnie42 »

The burnishing fluid works, 3 slight problems . Leave at least a day and a half to dry, be prepared to run tracks in and don't fill any pin marks before using the stuff. Track links were tight skipping on the sprockets, thought do IMPACT do sprockets. Ran tank again today ,and all is well ( GRIT/SLUDGE IN PINS?).Best way is to treat tracks would be pull all the pins first then reassemble when dry . Could save having lots of tight track links.
Track links left over for the turret , the ejector pin holes stand out after using filler before treating tracks
Track links left over for the turret , the ejector pin holes stand out after using filler before treating tracks
jarndice
Colonel

Re: AK METAL BURNISHING FOR TRACKS

Post by jarndice »

I have a pair of Heng Long Metal Tracks from my very first 1/16 R/C Tank it was a Panzer 4, :haha: Rebuilt at least twice,
But the tracks were silver and I would not have minded but all my other armour has Taigen Tracks which were nicely stained from new so I tried the "AK" Burnishing fluid and It was disappointing to see the tracks change from silver to grey no matter what I tried they would not stain darker than that.
I am Glad you had a better result.
I know that "Halfords" were selling Metal staining fluid a few years back so I might check that out.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Re: AK METAL BURNISHING FOR TRACKS

Post by Black Knight »

I used Birchwoods Gun Blue on mine followed by some wash - it has turned them a nice shade of muddy/rusty brown. The contact areas are now starting to wear through and are starting to look as they should - streaky bare steel!
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit

Return to “Tips and Tricks”