How to make simulated glass?

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: How to make simulated glass?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ad Lav wrote:Depends on the dodgy take away you visit lol
You got me there. . . . :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

easy8 wrote:buy a bottle of sprite (or other soda in a green bottle), drink it and use the plastic bottle as glass.....

have fun, easy8
:thumbup: :thumbup: a nice, simple and elegant solution!
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Jay-Em wrote:Tried Tamiya tranclucent green yet? ( X-25 Clear Green)

Use a flat brush. Stir well, apply thin layers after every layer is fully cured after about 2 hours.

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:.

"I had an idea of cutting up an old CD or DVD for the periscope glass. Not sure if that will look that good now.
I used a CD Cover to make the Armoured Windshield for my WSN/TORRO M16 HalfTrack,
Slightly warm it before you cut it and it will reduce the chances of it cracking..
There is plenty left over so that will make the windscreen for a Heng Long Truck.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I picked up a couple of sheets of clear plasti card for windscreens, but the old CD case trick is one to remember :thumbup:

When cutting brittle plastics, try using one of these, easy to make out of scrap wood. Or get a kit like this for the fine tooth saw. For those that don't know, the workpiece sits on top of the wooden frame, have the saw cut as close to the wood support as possible, and the saw teeth set to cut downwards. Same principal as using a fret saw :thumbup:

Set of Jewelers Bench Pin & Clamp With Ring Cutting Jig+ Saw Frame & 12 Blades | eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/252422056204?c ... 69fffa222a
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Tips and Tricks”