3 in 1 oil

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

3 in 1 oil

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

If you don't already know about this oil, it's one everyone should have.

Apart from being excellent to lube Yale type locks to help with key insertion and stop squeaks, it has other not as well know properties.

It also works well as a cutting agent on steel.
So, if you ever have to drill holes in steel, or tap those holes, even cutting some steel with a hacksaw, use a LITTLE of this oil where you're drilling, cutting etc.
Not only will it help with the cutting/drilling, but will also prolong the life of your drill bits, taps, blades etc.

Also good for applying to gears while you run them in :thumbup:

Tins like this can be purchased in pound land :thumbup:

Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: 3 in 1 oil

Post by Max-U52 »

I've been using this stuff for years, and I especially like it for putting a tiny drop of oil on all the bearings of the new ball bearing gearboxes. White lithium grease for the gears themselves, and 3 in one oil for the bearings and you're all set.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Max-U52 wrote:I've been using this stuff for years, and I especially like it for putting a tiny drop of oil on all the bearings of the new ball bearing gearboxes. White lithium grease for the gears themselves, and 3 in one oil for the bearings and you're all set.
But did you know about its excellent cutting agent qualities?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Yes, sir. It will also help free a frozen lock (dip the key in 3n1 and a lock frees right up), along with a zillion other uses. So is this now the thread to post all our cool 3n1 tricks? :haha: 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Max-U52 wrote:Yes, sir. It will also help free a frozen lock (dip the key in 3n1 and a lock frees right up), along with a zillion other uses. So is this now the thread to post all our cool 3n1 tricks? :haha: 8)
Why not, it is titled 3 in 1 oil, and I for one would find it fascinating to hear new uses :thumbup:
Talking about running in gearboxes made me think of posting about its cutting agent qualities.

I think only 3 in 1 is an understatement.

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

My granddad used 3 in 1 when I was a kid, none of this mamby pamby spray cans in those days, it was an oblong tin with a tube sticking out of the top
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Yeah, I prefer those tins, look what they replaced those tins with :(

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Looks like a douche lol no
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Over here it still looks the same, but the tin is now plastic.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

That's better Gary :thumbup:
midlife306 wrote:Looks like a douche lol no
Cheers
Wayne
Yeah, I know Wayne, probably designed for a tight ar*e person lol

Return to “Tips and Tricks”