Cheap turret MG

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Vertigo
Private

Cheap turret MG

Post by Vertigo »

This is almost pointless as the parts are harder to find but it works for me.
If you get an old 4mm banana plug, that goes on a cable, you can unscrew the outer insulator leaving the metal inner 4mm OD tube with an M5*0.9 thread and a solder tag. Note- looked on Ebay many now have a square section ILO the thread with a cross drilled hole. I just made an MG by threading my front mantle M5. Flattening the solder tang so my 3mm LED sits on it and then securing the LED with heat shrink. Really easy to fit as it just screws in the M5 threaded hole.
However im using the old style plug where the tube has a slot in the side and a bent wire spring. Nearly all the ones on Ebay are more like darlek ray-guns.
The outside is just a plane tube but you could fettle it or put some heatshrink on it.
The other thing that is sort of useful but some of you will hate is that the slot in the side for the spring allows light out. So you can see the gun firing when your not looking down the barrel. I like this idea. You don't get much light out with the spring in so i might try removing it so theres more light. As there is only one slot i was thinking of putting the slot facing the main gun barrel so it creates a reflection rather than being directly visible.
Anyway, 10 LEDs for £0.99 and about a Pound for a plug, bit of wire and heatshrink and people stop looking around trying to work out where that noise is coming from.
Vertigo
Private

Re: Cheap turret MG

Post by Vertigo »

Heres a pic. Wrong for this tank but shows the potential.
Banana plug MG
Banana plug MG
IMG_2450small.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Cheap turret MG

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That's cool :thumbup: Thanks for the tip.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Tips and Tricks”