Tank work stand

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Dark46
Lance Corporal

Tank work stand

Post by Dark46 »

Ok, this was posted on OFF TOPIC. It was suggested it was moved, so it has been and modified too.

After having having almost damaged a couple of tanks while working on electrics, I decided there had to be a way I could place them securley.
I needed

1 Tracks off the deck
2 Be able to reach on/ Off switch

I started using to rolls of packaging tape at both ends, but every now and then I would hit one. So I came up with the idea of making something more suitable.

I have a friend who works with fibre glass and thought if I gave him a suggestion or two if anything could be done.

This is what we have come up with. It's high enough even for my KT with very loose tracks to be off the deck. Plus with the gap in the middle I can get my hand under for my HL tanks on/off switches. I originally thought of 2 seperate towers , linking them has made it secure. The edges have been rounded off so I can't get caught by any sharp edges . I'm thinking of some how even clamping it to my desk or may be even velcro.

So once it's finished will hopefully be able to modify to my hearts content without any mishaps.
Attachments
20190107_172813-480x640.jpg
20190107_173423-640x853.jpg
20190107_162434-480x640.jpg
20190107_164233-480x640.jpg
20190107_164233-480x640.jpg (64.82 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
1:16
HL King Tiger ET, Taig King Tiger PT, Tam King Tiger PT
HL Tiger 1 x2, Taig Panther G, Taig Panzer III
Taig JS-2, Taig T34-85, Mato M4A1BN, Mato M10, HL M4a3 105mm, Taig M4a3 76mm
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tank work stand

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oh, what an absolutely spiffing idea sir :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

To add to the usefulness of your Work stand I suggest fitting an extended main cable that connects the Control Board in the Hull to the Body/Turret thereby allowing you to work on the internals with the body off the hull BUT still working and you can also change batteries without worrying about tearing out wires by mistake.,
Both Dave @ ---
www.forgebeartanks.com
And Dom @ -----
www.rctank.de
can provide the extra length cable.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Dark46
Lance Corporal

Post by Dark46 »

jarndice wrote:To add to the usefulness of your Work stand I suggest fitting an extended main cable that connects the Control Board in the Hull to the Body/Turret thereby allowing you to work on the internals with the body off the hull BUT still working and you can also change batteries without worrying about tearing out wires by mistake.,
Both Dave @ ---
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
And Dom @ -----
http://www.rctank.de
Nice idea! Cheers
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

:wtf:
jwhas
Recruit

Post by jwhas »

Dark46 wrote:
jarndice wrote:To add to the usefulness of your Work stand I suggest fitting an extended main cable that connects the Control Board in the Hull to the Body/Turret thereby allowing you to work on the internals with the body off the hull BUT still working and you can also change batteries without worrying about tearing out wires by mistake.,
Both Dave @ ---
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
And Dom @ -----
http://www.rctank.de
Nice idea! Cheers
Many tanks have hull hatches that can be opened (or cut out and replaced by metal hinged hatches). I am moving my main switch underneath those hatches. Much easier to handle.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Just about every 1/16 Tiger 1 hull both ABS and Metal have a preformed area on the hull to fit a power switch that places it under the MG/Radio Ops hatch.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Dark46
Lance Corporal

Post by Dark46 »

Not got a Tiger 1 but am thinking about it
Vertigo
Private

Post by Vertigo »

I liked this so much i made my own.
I got a piece of square gutter down pipe, well i had some lying around, cut it to the length of the tank hull. Then cut the top and sides out from the middle for the length of the turret. Dont cut the sides down the last 15mm or it will be to weak. Then cut a slot out the top at one end wider than the gun barrel.
Because its hollow you can clamp it to a table. If your hands are small enough you can reach inside.
Its high enough to keep the tracks of the ground for work, running-in, cleaning etc.
If there are no accessories on the turret you can turn it upside down.
Might make some clip on spacers for the top so its higher and then i can put the turret down with all the accessories on.
Didn't get to play with any paint though.

Im sure the modelers will find other uses for the tube. Watch tower, corner walls, roofs, pill boxes etc

Return to “Tips and Tricks”