An alternative to Dremel

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

An alternative to Dremel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Sorry chaps, I've got to say it.
After seeing people recommending Dremel, I thought it about time I let you on to a little known company in Luxembourg that's been making modelling tools for years, I just kept forgetting to mention them, sorry :{

Unfortunately Dremel has become a household name like Hoover and Scalextric amongst others.
Some like Dyson, Dewalt and Milwaukee, charge a lot to give you the impression they're the best, when they really aren't. But that's another story.

I've found that the dremel bearings don't last. In the old days they used to be a poor grade phosphor bronze, which you couldn't buy as spares, now I believe they are ball races, and as I have three of these things (had two, was given another), I still doubt the quality of the newer bearings.

But there is another make that isn't an Air drill, I would give Proxxon a look, this one is their industrial version. From what I've heard, their cheaper ones are just as good as a dremel, but half the price.

Pro version.
PROXXON - IBS/E
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28481.php

Cheap version. This one can be held like a fat pen.
PROXXON - MICROMOT 230/E
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28440.php

Pro version with long neck.
PROXXON - LBS/E
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28485.php

They sell their little three jaw chuck separately I'm afraid.

This manufacturer is worth a look at for other tools too.

Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: An alternative to Dremmal

I just took this screen shot from part of a Google search to give you an idea of price, cheap version on left, pro on right. I'm sure I've seen the cheap one for less.

One thing to note, some need a power supply and some plug in the mains, best to check what you're getting if you do want to get any :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I bought a Proxxon IBS/E two years ago after my ancient Dremel gave up the ghost. The newer Dremel tools are nowhere near as good as the old ones were.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

One point to note, these drills were designed/manufactured with industry in mind.

The metal loop on the end is for attaching it to an overhead "holder" so you can pull it down for use in factories.

This company also makes small lathes and milling machines, they are very good.

I can't believe I forgot about them, although I have been trying to remember them for their lathes in other threads, but something jogged my memory today when I read the name Dremel. Then I had a eureka moment lol.

Sorry for the delay of my brain :{

Mick.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

rochesb wrote:I bought a Proxxon IBS/E two years ago after my ancient Dremel gave up the ghost. The newer Dremel tools are nowhere near as good as the old ones were.
Thank you Mr rochesb. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thinks Dremel are overpriced for what they are. :thumbup:

This is sadly what happens when companies become a household name and get sloppy with their manufacturing, they probably have them made in China now.

I should give a big thanks to our newest member to introduce himself, Mr Verrumola, for was it not for him asking what the best make of tools are, I wouldn't have remembered this company. I can't say they are the very best, but they are one of them.
I once saw their lathes at an engineering show and was very impressed :thumbup:
I wanted one, but sadly fast bikes, faster women and having children got in the way :{

capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I started scrolling down this thread and was really glad when I came across rochesb's post. I was really starting to think that this was another one of those threads where Mick just talks to himself! :wave:

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I use a Ryobi multi-tool for my "dremmel" type work.
It has an umbilical cable driving a remote rotating head that accepts all the usual tools.
Abrasive drums, cutting blades etc etc.
Industrial grade trade tool less than the price of Dremmel brand gear.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Normal Ryobi drills are becoming more and more popular with builders here, they're so much cheaper.

I must admit, I haven't tried them and I didn't know they did mini drills.

Lidl do a brand called Parkside, they give a three year warranty, I haven't had their mini drill, but I've bought two normal rechargeable drills, and I'm very impressed, and the pair were cheaper in total than a spare battery for my dewalt lol.

rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I bought the Proxxon drill stand and machine vice at the same time as I bought the drill after looking at the Dremmel version. They are definitely better quality. Their lathes and milling machines look well made too, but expensive.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Yep, their lathes are a bit pricey, but you certainly get what you pay for, quality.
I thought they were a Luxembourg company, turns out they are in Luxembourg, but are a German company, first started in 1977, and they're also in Germany.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”