An alternative to Dremel

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: An alternative to Dremmal

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
I own a corded Dremmel tool with the usual accessories and it has given yeomans service over the years. I've replaced the brushes once, no other issue. I also use a Ryobi cordless 18v drill set around the property. I am very well pleased with it's performance. So much so that when my old Dremmel ever comes up for replacement, I will look to see what Ryobi has in mini tools.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Mickp868
Recruit

Re: An alternative to Dremmal

Post by Mickp868 »

I’ve got a proxxon that I bought 25 years ago, apart from needing to replace the power cable it is still going strong, definitely recommended
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: An alternative to Dremel

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Mine is a work zone one from Aldi and works fine so dremmel for me is nothing more than a brand name
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've had years of good service from Makita cordless drills, :thumbup: and would have considered one of their cordless die grinders as an alternative to a Dremel, but for the fact that they're just a tad too bulky for detail work. I have a cordless Ryobi strimmer, and like the fact that its battery can be used in most of their other cordless products. :)
That's an attractive marketing factoid.
Dremel is has been owned by Bosch for decades now. I don't know if that might have affected the quality of their rotary tools. I think it's more likely, however, that the China factor has something to do with a lessening of quality control. It might have 'Dremel', or 'Bosch' embossed on it, but the odds are the product came off a Chinese production line... :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, I still have my old 9 volt Makita drills in my shed, one is an anglepoise, they were brilliant for their time. I keep meaning to find a way of replacing the batteries.
Sadly, a battery for my industrial 24 volt Makita is around £175, and I can't find cells the same physical size, I was hoping to meet the component shop man at the Blackpool show this year, but sadly that never happened.
This thing.
Attachments
20201221-230327.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Wow, I still have my old 9 volt Makita drills in my shed, one is an anglepoise, they were brilliant for their time. I keep meaning to find a way of replacing the batteries.
Sadly, a battery for my industrial 24 volt Makita is around £175, and I can't find cells the same physical size, I was hoping to meet the component shop man at the Blackpool show this year, but sadly that never happened.
This thing.
They're really well worth keeping, Mick. Finding tools of that quality these days is like treasure- hunting for Kit Williams' Golden hare... ;)
(remember loonies being rescued from cliffs and other places, pursuing the hidden Hare in his 'Masquerade' book? :) :lolno: ).
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

No, sorry, don't remember the "Loonies"

As for the drills, I should imagine they would have very handy low voltage high powered large RC vehicle motors within ;)

That big one will put a one inch drill bit through solid concrete as quick as a 240 volt.. Black and Decker puts a tiny bit in a brick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I have the Proxxon12-Volt PS 13 Pen Sander and Proxxon Bench Circular Saw KS 115. They are both good tools so far. Micro Mark basically rebrands Proxxon tools and sells them at a premium. Proxxon tools can be had as an online order through Home Depot. The pen sander does require buying a power supply, but it can be used with a bunch of their other tools: Proxxon 2 Amp Transformer NG 2/S.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Tips and Tricks”