Henntec M1A2 Tensioner (Taigen)

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Henntec M1A2 Tensioner (Taigen)

Post by nexusys »

Hi All,

I recently purchased Henntec for M1A2.

My understanding of tensioner is that when you drive your tank to uneven surface, the tensioner would stretch the tracks back and forth from Idler to prevent from track slipping off the sprocket.

I haven't install the tensioner yet. But i couldnt see it how it supposed to work apart from adjusting the tensioner position to stretch the idler to suit your preference to stop the track slippage.

Is this correct? :'(

I mean more like this kinda tensioner im referring to:

phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Henntec M1A2 Tensioner (Taigen)

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Very interesting! I don't have a Leopard in any flavour, nor an Abrams (my interest is largely limited to WW2 armour..), so I really can't comment on its suspension. In the video, though, the tensioner appears to act like a bicycle derailleur arm. The Henntec unit is for adjusting any slack in the tracks, when the model is static and fully loaded. It doesn't work like a spring-loaded suspension arm, or coil-spring and damper unit.
The suspension arms, together with any return rollers there may be, are meant to keep the tracks in place, and prevent slippage, when travelling over uneven ground. (Tiger, Cromwell, etc. didn't have return rollers)
Fine tuning track length is much easier with the Henntec device, than by having to remove track segments... :think: They're also well made, and generally easy to fit. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Nexusys,

The Henntec is not a dynamic tensioner. It allows you to adjust the tension but once set it will not dynamically adjust to maintain track tension. The Henntec assembly can be used as the pivot for the idler with some type of adjustable tensioner between it and the first road wheel swing arm.

I have visions of designing something along these lines.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25984

Possibly some type of RC Oil Filled Adjustable Shock or something along those lines. Figuring out how to attach it to the first road wheel swing arm is going to be just one of the challenges. I am not sure how to create the extended attachment boss to the top of the swing arm? :S

Cheers,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Having just looked through 'Sub's thread on his improvised auto tensioner system for the Challenger, I'd advise you to have a good look at his solution, if only for the ingenuity of it :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25984
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

thanks all for detail explanations. Now i get it. With challenger's custom tensioner, that looks pretty full on.

I now got the idea of Henntec tensioner after i successfully installed it.

I dont have anymore dramas with track slippage with my abrams. I would highly recommend it. i'll consider to get one for my 2a6 and T72B3

Cheers BarryC and 43RecceReg youre legend! :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks, Nexusys :wave: As is often the case when a topic comes up, it's tempting to do a spot of detective work, or just general topic-related mooching, on the 'Net.
Following on from the video you referred to on the Leo, I chanced upon this well-made clip on Youtube. It really demonstrates how well a properly setup suspension system can perform in (simulated) desert conditions. More than that, it looks as if the stabilised camera used to film the action is mounted (with a Gimbal?) on another RC vehicle. :thumbup: It's very well done.
phpBB [video]
While the soundtrack is a tad too 'metal' for my taste, I really can't fault the filming and editing technique :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

How about the real thing? Watch suspension under braking from the start, also the amount of slack on the tracks. Just before 4 minutes, good suspension watching. Then just before 5 minutes, and we complain about turning on grass lol.

And, just before 2 and 2.5 minutes, the driver does something that shows what an arse he is.

Watch "leopard 2 A6 crushed renault nevada" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/HbsDtMp2FrE
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:How about the real thing? Watch suspension under braking from the start, also the amount of slack on the tracks. Just before 4 minutes, good suspension watching. Then just before 5 minutes, and we complain about turning on grass lol.

And, just before 2 and 2.5 minutes, the driver does something that shows what an arse he is.

Watch "leopard 2 A6 crushed renault nevada" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/HbsDtMp2FrE
Seen this before. Always enjoy watching the manoeuvres. Lovin it
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I stumbled on that looking for another "show" film where they have a wine glass is on the end of the barrel, sadly I couldn't find it.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I stumbled on that looking for another "show" film where they have a wine glass is on the end of the barrel, sadly I couldn't find it.
I think this is the amber nectar you have in mind, if not in the hand :D
phpBB [video]

Return to “Tips and Tricks”