Better looking stock antenna’s

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Better looking stock antenna’s

Post by Jay-Em »

The stock aerials Heng Long puts in their boxes look, frankly, way too “toy” for me.

To make them more like real radio anntenna’s, there’s a simple solution that keeps their flex, ànd gets it the right colour: Shrink. Tube.

Get Yourself some 0.8mm and 5mm Shrink-tube at HobbyKing, for the giant sum of about 1 quid for 2 x 1m. ( While You’re at it, order many more sizes. Shrink-tube is a godsend with all manner of electric ‘toys’ ) Snip-off the eyelet at the top. Shove a correct length of 0.8mm on the aerial, about 2mm more than needed (to cover the sharp tip) and shrink it simply with a lighter. Put a drop of superglue in the tip, also to cover the sharp end, just to be sure.

Now, cut about 2 cm, or enough to cover the spring-bit, of the 5mm shrink, shove over the spring-bit. Voilà. ‘Rubber covered aerials’ the material can be painted with any acrylics to cover the brand-name that’s usually printed allover the tubing. My advise would be ‘Tamiya Rubber Black XF-85’

If You feel like it, You can go “deluxe” and also buy some 1mm or 1.2mm, cut 1cm and shrink that somewhere half-way on the antenna, simulating a connecting sleeve.

(Pictures are coming)
Last edited by Jay-Em on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Better looking stock antenna’s

Post by Max-U52 »

I definitely agree that you can never have too much shrink tube. I used it on the Abrams, along with .020 styrene rod painted black with a Sharpie.

I just ordered a resin printer and antenna bases are on the list so keep your eye out for files. Small items like that I can send to the UK for just the cost of a Christmas card. I'll also be printing one in 1/6 scale for my hetzer.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”