perfect paint finish tip

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
percy1510
Corporal

perfect paint finish tip

Post by percy1510 »

I have a tip that I have discovered last night out of necessity. I airbushed the base colour onto My Taigen Tiger. when the paint had dried I noticed that the surface felt rough to the touch and thinking that this will not be a good surface to apply washes etc. Now I am not sure why the paint finished the way it did, its probably down to me doing something wrong with the airbrush or may be down to the fact that my airbrush is a cheap one and I need a better one? - advice on this would be appreciated if anyone has any suggestions-

Anyway what I did was use the green (scotchbrite)part of one of those sponges that you use to do the washing up. I wetted the sponge slightly and wiped over the rough paint with the green part of the sponge and then dried everything off with a paper towel and what you end up with is a beautiful smooth finish to your paint.
Maybe people already do this and I have just discovered it by accident??
Anyway I hope that this info is useful to somebody
Glyn
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: perfect paint finish tip

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I had a similar problem and got some help in this forum regarding that. That might be because you may have applied too much pressure, so some paint arrived already dry to the tank.

Next time try with less pressure or some thinner.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

yes possibly I need to increase the amount of thinner in my paint mox
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

In my talking with experienced painters found their conclusion was generally the rough surface was caused by holding the air brush to far away from the subject being painted,the paint was actually drying before it hit the surface.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Easy way to smooth down paint is to get a packet of those antiseptic kitchen wipes. Lightly rub the surface over and it takes off all of the imperfections and smooths the paint surface down. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I've had good success using acrylic retarder when the weather is uncooperative (in Australia this is 90% of the time). It slows the drying time of the paint, so it's less prone to drying mid-air or in the needle of the airbrush.

I think it's basically some kind of glycol, so it'd be easy enough to try something if the hobby-grade stuff is expensive or hard to come by.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”