Tamiya Panzer4 Schurzen.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Tamiya Panzer4 Schurzen.

Post by jarndice »

If you are going to fit the Tamiya Schurzen to a Heng Long or Taigen Panzer 4 Turret because unlike the Tamiya PZ4 Turret there are no pre-marked mounting points a dry run is essential,
Before I cut the parts I needed from the Sprue I wrote the number of the part found adjacent to the part on the sprue onto the part itself in marker and cleaned away any flash etc then using double sided tape cut to size and referring to the Tamiya Panzer 4 PDF available on the Forum I assembled the whole Turret Schurzen and offered it up to the turret,
I was then able to adjust the brackets and using a Marker inked in where they should be on the sides of the turret and where to pin vise the holes in the top of the turret for the brackets.
It turned a prospective hit and miss cock up into a doddle.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tamiya Panzer4 Schurzen.

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi there Mr Jarndice! Was the manipulation of the tamiya schurzen brackets minimal or was much work needed to make them fit the Heng Long Taigen panzer IV turret?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Carl,
As long as the brackets are properly aligned and the base of the bracket is seated flat within the slots on the inside of the Schurzen then the brackets will assume the correct angle,
When you offer up the completed Schurzen look at the base of the brackets because if you do have the top brackets in line those lower ones will suddenly just FIT,
By the way whether or not you glue the lower brackets in place is your choice, I did not bother.
And don't forget the mounting of the Schurzen where it contacts the Stowage box at the rear of the turret.
Once it is all aligned and all the brackets are in contact with the turret roof go ahead with the marker,
A gentle squeeze of the assembly might be needed to get everything in place,
Once I had assembled and glued the Schurzen assembly I left it to cure for a couple of days before trying a dummy run.
If the assembly sits square on the bench then it is ready.
If you follow the instructions it is like nearly all of Tamiyas kits, Really easy.
If you are fitting decals on the turret as well as the Schurzen you obviously do that before fitting the Schurzen. :lolno:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have a Taigen 4 here with Tamy turret schurzen.............pics shortly.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thank you so much mr Jarndice and mr Bix. Very helpful insight and much appreciated. :clap: Herman please do find those pictures they will be a very helpful resource.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I have a 35th tamiya panzer 3 or 4 with schurzen since I was thirteen lol, I was going to use that as a guide, but this is most useful :thumbup:
Thanks guys for bringing this to my attention :thumbup:

And yes please Herman, as many pictures as you can spare :D :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Would they fit better if I install a tamiya turret bin? I know the heng long is not correct. My other idea is the install a new taigen metal turret with the better designed basket
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Carl,
The reason the Heng Long and Taigen Stowage boxes do not conform to the prototypes silhouette is because it is stuffed full of the Main guns workings,
Ask anyone who has tried cutting it off to fit an aftermarket box, Nightmare, :thumbdown:
The Tamiya Schurzen is a very nice and easy fit on the existing Heng Long and Taigen Turrets.

I have been trying to find a supplier/Dealer who sells the new proper silhouette PZ4 Turret but until you just mentioned it the only way for me to get one was to buy £250 of Panzer 4 and I already have enough spares to make two and a half more already. :lolno:
So where are you getting your newly redesigned PZ4 Turret ?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I've just ordered the taigen metal IR turret from Dave at Forgebear. :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Dave has them for £75.00, they are selling here in the states for $150.00 from taigen. Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Return to “Tips and Tricks”