T-90 HQ tracks tip

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

T-90 HQ tracks tip

Post by Jay-Em »

RCtank . de sells “T-90” HQ-tracks that are wáy above the metal offerings that Heng Long puts on their T-90. The T-90 Heng long metal tracks are ill-fitting, single-cast-per-link nasty affairs that hop and skip on the wrongly pitched metal sprockets like there is no tomorrow.

The HQ-tracks are closer in Tamiya quality, every link is 6 different pieces, and the guide links (don’t know the actual name, the pointy links in the middle of the tracks) are properly opened.

They run vèry smooth. The tip here :

For a proper fit they need 1 link added each. Extra links come in the kit. Otherwise they’ll be way too tight. They’re probably meant for a proper track-tensioning system, like a henntec, or something.

Link to tracks: https://www.rctank.de/T-90-HQ-Metal-tracks-silver

To me they are the best offering on the market. I tried the plastic heng long tracks, the metal, and these. A world of difference. Imho the “metal” deluxe version of the T-90 is a waste of money. Cheaper than adding tracks, but it runs like crapola with the HengLong metal tracks.

Better buy the cheap version, ditch the sprocket a d tracks, and add metal sprockets and this HQ-track set.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: T-90 HQ tracks tip

Post by Jay-Em »

Heng long’s own metal sprockets and idlers do just fine. It’s just the pitch of their metal tracks that’s off and makes the tank do the mambo, wagging its rear like a mad puppy.

I only replaced the tracks on the T-90 metal version. Oh, and I got my hands on the official Heng Long bearing holders and bearings (mentioned in the back of the T-90 manual, but unavailable in Europe). A chinese seller named “Tankzhang store” has them in stock. He sells them via Aliexpress. Not expensive too, $8.- a set with free shipping. Takes about two weeks. Slowboat from China and such.

I feel bearings are a necessity when using metal tracks and sprockets, because the load on the shafts is increased significantly compared to an all plastic affair. The load can be such, that it bends the gearbox sides out of shape and can break axles when using high torque motors like Igarashi 5-pole monsters on 12v. (Don’t ask :{ )

Edit: free shipping was apparently some temporary action. No more free shipping. Still, €6.- for shipping isn’t that big a deal.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Sat May 12, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”