• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

Turret jerky fix

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.

Postby Norton1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 am

20171205_172614 (700x525).jpg
New tank

My new King Tiger had a turret that was a bit jerky.

So I took the top off, pulled the turret drive unit off, and found the main pin that holds the main drive gear was a bit loose. The factory pin measured .115 so I machined a new one at .120 and it was a light, push with my thumb, press fit. Turret rotates much more smoothly. I should have done a bit of a relocate on the unit as the gear clearances on the drive gear and the turret ring is a bit sloppy. But it certainly helped with accuracy!
20171205_170036 (700x525).jpg
Turret gear box

20171205_164854 (700x525).jpg
Cutting the new pin

Norton1
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Postby BarryC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Excellent deduction and solution! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
User avatar
BarryC
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: Savannah, GA. USA

Postby Norton1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks! I think I am going to have to move the drive box though. It sets just a tad to far away from the ring gear. Super glue has worked on a couple of things but it may take 2 part epoxy to hold the box in place as it sets on pedestals that will have to be cut and moved. Oh what fun!!

Norton1
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Problem-solving is just one feature of this multi-faceted forum :thumbup: Mind you it does help to have access to a lathe and, of course, to know how to use it. That was a neat solution and suggests you'll join the more inquisitive and pioneering members of the forum in future (and there are plenty :D ), by helping to improve the performance and looks of our scale armour :thumbup: 8|
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby wibblywobbly » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 am

You might get away with keeping one locating pin and using that as a swivel to swing the other two around so that the gears mesh. That way you have at least one solid pin which should help the new adhesion. Thanks to a tip on here I bought some double sides 3M type tape from the local DIY store, the sort with the sponge in the middle, that stuff will hold servo' s in place so may well work on the motor casing. :thumbup:
User avatar
wibblywobbly
Captain
 
Posts: 5149
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:30 am
Location: Bristol

Postby Norton1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks Wibblywobbly - I had figured on keeping one of them. I would try the double sided tape - but I am concerned that if it fails I would have to go inside again. But if you've had good performance out of it it would certainly simplify the move.

Thanks again!

Norton1
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm


Return to Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests