• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

Super glue trick

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Because I get side tracked with YouTube suggested videos after watching Max-U52 videos on his build, I sometimes stumble on totally different things. Anyway, here's something interesting I found about super glue.

Hopefully I'm not the only one that didn't know this and it's useful. Bloke goes on a bit, but worth a watch.

Still trying to work out why he mentions the cops don't want you to know about it in his title, well, it worked on me cos I watched it lol.

Watch "Super glue trick the cops dont want you to know" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/KU2qph2vG9Y

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby capt midnight » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm

It's a pretty good trick to set up the glue. JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OVER THE GLUE WHEN YOU PUT THE BAKING SODA INTO IT!!!!

If you get ANY of the fumes into your eyes, you'd swear that the devil himself just installed a couple of red hot pokers!! How did I learn this? :{

I started buying a small spray can of accelerate to use with the CA. It does the same thing, without all the fumes. The kind I use even smells a little like vanilla, so it's indoors friendly.

Just a little FYI

Bill
capt midnight
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I used to get the glue with tins of accelerator for building work, so expensive compared to this trick.

Oh, and mind your eyes. . . . Lol.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby tomhugill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I used to get the glue with tins of accelerator for building work, so expensive compared to this trick.

Mick.

Not where I get them from!

tomhugill
Lieutenant

Postby capt midnight » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm

I bought a spray small can a year or so ago, still have about half let. I think it cost around $6US

Bill
capt midnight
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm

tomhugill wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:I used to get the glue with tins of accelerator for building work, so expensive compared to this trick.

Mick.

Not where I get them from!

Let me guess, Poundland? They apparently do the tins with glue, but not in my town :'(

capt midnight wrote:I bought a spray small can a year or so ago, still have about half let. I think it cost around $6US

Bill

Used to pay that about ten years ago, must have used ten tins back in the day lol.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Jussek » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 am

hi chaps

there are a lot of tricks and tips related to the cyanoacrylate glues.

i use two of them when needed. To accelerate que setting time of this type of putty made of two components (lots of brands)

mix the two parts and place it on site, if you want the setting time become almost nil, cover the surface with cyanoacrylate. I used this to glue and reinforce the ball bearing supports for the output shafts of all my tanks.

the other tip is to use the cyanoacrylate to cover sewing thread, it also make this rock solid. This old trick is used for example to repair the broken 'nipples' (i do not know the word in english) where the screws are screwed. Or to reinforce any cilyndrical part like i did here

best regards
Jussek
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank you Jussek, all superglue tips and tricks welcomed :thumbup:

I once made a back door frame out of wood I was given for the job. Sadly the head had quite a split in it. After profiling and joining the timber, I sanded the frame down and saved the dust. I gradually filled the split with cyanoacrylate and the dust, the glue didn't take long to set at all and had the most minimal shrinkage through soaking in the wood. Any excess sanded down easily.

I've been back to that job many years later for other work and the split is still undetectable.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Norton1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 am

Neat trick! The rear flaps/track covers on the HL King Tiger break,don't stay in, are a PITA. I super glued them and they held for a bit but while painting and removing the tracks today the one sides tabs came off again. I was going to drill a hole, amy still do that, through the tab and the flap and then super glue a metal pin in it. This little trick may save me the trouble!

Thanks!!!!

Norton1
Recruit

Postby PainlessWolf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 am

Norton1,
I drilled and put a nail through mine to keep them mobile but not 'too' mobile.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Mud Guard Mod 2.jpg
Mud Guard Mod 2.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 73 times
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Norton1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 pm

My thinking exactly. I first have to get the tabs that broke off to stay on. Probably heat up a track pin and stick it through them to hold the tabs to the flaps. Kind of funky as the rest of the tank is near bullet proof.

Norton1
Recruit

Return to Tips and Tricks