Mini drill cutting disks

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Mini drill cutting disks

Post by jarndice »

I have had far to many near misses with the "Dremel" Cutting discs breaking up that I never use a cutting disc without wearing protective eyewear.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I have bought that type of cutoff wheel. It is very thin, and I've used it for cutting plastic. Be aware that the teeth can "grab" and want to run away from exactly where you're trying to cut, (makes you wish you had three hands)!

To replace those Dremel cutting discs that shatter SO frequently, I have been using these fiberglass-reinforced discs for several years now. Great for cutting metal, (they tend to gum up when cutting plastic), and they don't shatter - they just get smaller when they wear down. I buy the ones with the 1/8" arbor hole, which fits the Dremel arbor. (There are also ones sold with a 1/16" arbor, and I got those once by mistake. I had to drill out each hole to 1/8"). Anyway, a link to this type is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120pcs-Fibergla ... SwnFZXUkOc
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In Defence of "Dremel" They do sell much better quality cutting discs that simply wear out (Slowly) they come with metal, plastic and sanding properties depending upon your choice.
They are part of the "Speed clic" Range of "Dremel" accessories.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

jarndice wrote:I have had far to many near misses with the "Dremel" Cutting discs breaking up that I never use a cutting disc without wearing protective eyewear.
Shaun.
Hi Shaun

I saw Painless using one of these, looks like a good idea, saves wearing the glasses.
th (6).jpg
th (6).jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

Great video on YouTube showing cutting disc guards made from top of plastic bottles, good idea I may try. Just search Dremel guard. Be safe!

Dava.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

Great video on YouTube showing cutting disc guards made from top of plastic bottles, good idea I may try. Just search Dremel guard. Be safe!

Dava.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
Martin64
Recruit

Post by Martin64 »

Dremel are a far superior cutting disc.
Martin
Martin64
Recruit

Post by Martin64 »

Yes, they do shatter,but I think better quality than the silver line tools ones.
Martin
Martin64
Recruit

Post by Martin64 »

No,don't work for dremel,I am retired. Not used diamond disks. I have used the dremel ones mostly for cutting model railway track
Martin
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

So is there a cutting disk that works well on styrene. Heat is the biggest problem. I happen to have an old Proline rotary tool with variable speed, I can use the metal toothed sawblades on that, and at slow speed I can cut styrene without it either melting the plastic or leaping about. I bought a Dremel a few years back, complete with drill stand, and it has sat in a plastic crate unused ever since. It spins so fast that even on the slowest setting it is a nightmare with styrene sheet, either cutting or drilling.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Tips and Tricks”