Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Re: Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

Post by Spam In A Can 26 »

I've also had independent confirmation from The U.K. & Canada about legality.
In the UK components of ammunition need no paperwork to own them but you need certification (a licence) to purchase powder and primers.
Basically, cases and bullets (heads) are totally free from legislation that includes rim or centerfire form .17 to as big as you get.

& From Canada
I'm not exactly sure what yer askin for.
Are you asking if anyone can posses once fired brass?
Yes, they can.
Can we import live stuff? Yes we can - if you have a basic firearms license (up to 5,000 rnds per instance - IIRC)
Does anyone keep rim fire brass? Not that I know of. Ask Rhino. Spent .22 brass is like a carpet @ the cabin
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good advice mate............same as anyone thats not sure can check for themselves .
Check first-bitch later.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

The easiest way to get your hands on some empty casings is simply to contact a local gun club. Tell them what you are after and the purpose for them and you will certainly find a couple of guys willing to blast of a few for you. You can even find different sizes to represent different types of shells. This eliminates any issues with mailing and may actually prove to be a fun day out with some new friends... (Our new club field is being built at Waterloo Rod & Gun Club ;) )

What I do is then fill in the primer hole with solder, sand some off the bottom to thin the casing rim, This then gets around any issues with spent ammunition as you have altered it sufficiently it can never be used again... :)
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
DRC
Lance Corporal

Post by DRC »

I'm located near to Hull. I shoot long distance centre fire and load my own ammunition. I often buy brass shell cases by the hundreds and these are delivered through the post.
The powder and primers are a different matter. Those I pick up in person.
Getting rid of the old brass cases can be a problem as most scrap yards won't touch it just in case there's an odd stray live one in the bucket!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Post by Spam In A Can 26 »

Hull! Do you shoot at Altcar?
I have a mate from the area who goes there all the time.
I was more Southern, Brizzle, so for me it was New Passage (Pilning) or Bisley.
DRC
Lance Corporal

Post by DRC »

Strensall, Pickering and the family farm mainly but illness in the family has just forced me to take a year out.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Good tip. It just so happens my father recently invested in a very nice .17 to persuade the local foxes that his lambs probably shouldn't be on the menu. It's a lot more economical than the .222 he's used for the last 40-odd years and has the same end result.
I'll hit him up for a few spent rounds when I next visit.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Well, the weapon laws are quite strict in the good old Europe. Some years ago I wanted to buy an Sig 552 commando AIRSOFT magazine in the UK shipped to Spain, and the seller refused to send anything outside the UK because he was having really big problems with the parcels at the post office due to some stupid weapons police.

The most effective way would be using a courier, and wrap the bunch of shells with aluminium paper, so there is no way to see whats inside in such a small packet.

Dont get the things personal, Spam-in-a-can. I would happyly grab a bunch of shells from you, but the shipping its a bit a steepy.
It's a familiar story, Rad. Rules are getting ever together in Europe, and after Paris, Berlin etc., you can see why, I suppose. Everything seems to require a certificate, and getting one is not easy. I have a friend in Hamburg, a former Leutnant of Polizei, and even he would find it hard to get a hand gun these days. You can buy 'certified inert' ammo in the UK; but it's very expensive, largely because we don't have many guns here, and those we have are usually confined to the .22 LR type of round, or shotgun shells. This vendor here also points out the difficulty of mailing spent ammo ( except at considerable expense):
"..New copper jacketed heads with ex-fired cases. Modern made version of the WW1 & 2 style rifle bullet. fired percussion cap. Impressive bullet with no explosive so perfectly safe to own and handle.

6 copper and brass bullets.

modern ordnance is difficult to send anywhere. Most carriers and postal services are ill informed and scared of carrying completely safe inert ammunition. So we sometimes have to take "special steps" to get them to you. This is reflected in the price and delivery period

OVERSEAS INTERNATIONAL AMMO ORDERS ARE SENT BY SURFACE COURIER AND WILL TAKE 3-8 WEEKS TO ARRIVE. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS BEFORE YOU ORDER..."
This is from relics.org.uk
Then read what air travellers say about bringing 'souvenir' used ammo into the country, or taking it by plane, have to say:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practica ... ullet.html
Here there are some posts about the USA''s TSA take on ammo on planes:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/arch ... 65252.html
An interesting post by 'DNA" on what constitutes part of a weapon... and it's very similar to the lecture I got from the Swiss Police.
But, for you, Rad here I am blasting away with my Son's Sig 550 (real 550 :D ); very similar to the 552. Not a flattering pic., nevertheless :eh: :D
Sig 550- Nato 5.56 ammo and 43RR
Sig 550- Nato 5.56 ammo and 43RR
That said, I've everything from Colt .45 through to 50 cal (spent) shells at home, but they needed a terrific disguise :D :shh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Max-U52 wrote:This is just one more reason I call this my home forum, because of how the men here calmly and rationally resolve any type of dispute or conflict. On RCU guys would have been calling each other ten kinds of douchebag by now, instead of calmly and rationally expressing viable opinions on the subject.

You guys really are the best. Long live RCTW and all its members. :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) 8)
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Spam, the shells really do look convincing in you photo :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing. A buddy of mine saved me some spent shells and I tried them out. Looks fantastic.

I posted this in the show off thread, but figured it couldn't hurt to repeat it.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS

Return to “Tips and Tricks”