• Advertisement
Ludwigs

Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:55 pm

I don't know how many of you have access to a shooting range (real firearms type), but if you do, or you know someone who knows someone & so on then I've got "zuch a deal" for you!

These are fired (& so utterly inert & 100% safe) cases from a firearm using the 17 HMR ammunition (It stands for Hornady Magnum Rim-fire 0.17"), they are 1.150" long, 0.288" wide at the rim, 0.244" at the base tapering to 0.192 at the open end of the neck. They ae very popular with target & pest shooters, so they are easy to find.
Image

OK, so what you ask?
Well they'll be absolutely free as they are discarded after use so your "contact" can just snarf them up off the ground for you!
They're darn near perfect size scaled to a 1/16 model as fired main gun rounds! They're even correctly fouled, stained & weathered! The bottleneck may not be perfect for some tanks, but hey fer cheap its not a bad deal.

Image
:O :clap:

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:01 pm

This: is the real HE for the 90mm. You can see the taper difference.
Image

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby c.rainford73 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Spam In A Can 26 wrote:This: is the real HE for the 90mm. You can see the taper difference.
Image

Spam these look great!
User avatar
c.rainford73
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:08 pm

Thinking on it you might also be able to use .22RimFire, or .22 rim-fire magnum cases as well. Again they cant be reactivated after firing once so they 're basically little brass tins, nothing more. The .22's may be over sized at the pointy end though.

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby c.rainford73 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 pm

The shell casings on your Pershing look very convincing what do you charge for a lot of them shipped to the northeast...
User avatar
c.rainford73
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Unfortunately, the police and customs bods over here (Britain and much of Europe) take a dim view of folk possessing -and especially mailing- spent cartridges. Some can be refilled and fitted with new primers. When the Swiss police confiscated some .303 British shells from me recently, and even though it was plain that the rounds were actually inert, in international law they said, they still comprise 'part of a firearm'. I go shooting in Switzerland because in the UK you need to be a member of registered club, even to mess around with paintballs and BBs. Eventually, even tank airsoft guns will probably need licensing... :eh:
That said, I went to New York many years ago, and have a vivid memory of the digital meter in Times Square that counts the number of gun deaths in the US.... :shh:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Sorry I tried to be helpful, it wont happen again.

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:01 pm

It was very helpful, Spam. Please don't stop posting helpful ideas. Just because it doesn't help the guys in the UK with all the laws, it doesn't mean it won't help a lot of guys in other parts of the world. I know this is a uk-based forum but we have lots and lots of members worldwide who appreciate tips like this so please keep up the good work.
User avatar
Max-U52
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby HERMAN BIX » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Yeah mate, help away.
Each nation has things peculiar to it, but that is no barrier to ideas and suggestions :thumbup:

I have some .243 ballistic capped projectiles I can use for 'warheads' on the end of spent shell cases, so your idea is great.

Looks good, and like you say- free(we like free)
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Captain
 
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby capt midnight » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 pm

That was a fantastic idea. I'm trying to locate me some spent brass now!

Bill
User avatar
capt midnight
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:22 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

I’ve received a surprising number of negative PM’s on this so I guess a clarification is in order. After that I’m just walking away from it completely. It was intended as a helpful & clever tick where it’s legal & if you’re comfortable with it, nothing more. Sorry to anyone I offended.
.
FOR THE RECORD! I do not endorse, condone or suggest, that anyone do anything dangerous, illegal, immoral, stupid, scary or fattening.
. Anyway.
.
1: Please use common sense & intelligence if you decide to try it. These particular types of brass are 100% inert, 100% safe, & 0% capable of being re-engineered into something else.
.
2:I checked with some knowledgeable friends in several parts Europe & they all tell me the same thing, legally its “scrap metal” the same as cut up pipefittings & so on, nothing else.
.
3: If you think it’s not legal, don’t do it.
4: If it makes you, your family & friends or your pets or club members nervous or uncomfortable, don’t do it.
5: Don’t violate privacy or rules of anyone you may interface with trying it.
6: Don’t trespass, ask permission, if it’s denied, that’s it, don’t do it.
7: If it’s too tough to do, don’t get stressed, just don’t do it.
8: Use common sense & don’t get into trouble.

I just received this from one of my U.K. Contacts & thought I’d share.
It substantiates my contention that LOADED LIVE AMMUNITION (a complete “Round of Ammunition” is indeed licensed & controlled, but both inert “dewat” rounds & cases are not.)

Chapter 2 of the police guide:


2.9 “Ammunition” means ammunition for
any firearm and includes grenades, bombs
and other like missiles whether capable of
use with a firearm or not, and also includes
prohibited ammunition. It will be noted
that the definition of ammunition does
not include ingredients and components
of ammunition; it is only assembled
ammunition that is controlled under the
Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.

The only exception to this is the missiles for
ammunition prohibited under section 5 of the
1968 Act, for example expanding or armourpiercing
bullets. Such missiles are themselves
regarded as “ammunition” and are subject to
control accordingly.

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm

:O I'm sorry if you felt upset, Spam, by my (casual) observations on used cartridge cases. I was simply pointing out how stringent laws are in the EU, and especially the UK on Firearms, parts of firearms,and their munitions....not knocking your contribution. The idea of using spent cartridges as scale tank shells is not in fact new on the forum, as it cropped up fairly recently. There I suggested using Nato 5.56 rounds as ersatz 88mm tank rounds (16 x 5.56= 88.96, and so a close approximation). Used rounds of all calibers can be bought online, but as I understand it, they're not viable; that is they're put beyond re-use (except for those with Firearms certificates..and they're as rare as rocking horse s**t to obtain here, and some other EU nations.). Lighters and lamps have been made from them, as well as other novelties, just so with mills bombs and artillery shells....But posting it, or taking by plane can be quite a different, and problematic matter.. considering regulations, and how things are x-rayed these days. This is how I had the .303 used shells confiscated by the Police (Polizei).
As Gary says, continue to make innovative suggestions. We all try to here, I'm sure. :thumbup:
Here's an article on viable cartridges, and reusing them, if your interested. :) It applies to the UK, but our latest stringent rules on firearms related issues come from the EU: a political and bureaucratic union we never asked to join (we signed for an economic union :shh: ). But now we're leaving.......
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/leg ... egal-81336
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Yeah mate, help away.
Each nation has things peculiar to it, but that is no barrier to ideas and suggestions :thumbup:

I have some .243 ballistic capped projectiles I can use for 'warheads' on the end of spent shell cases, so your idea is great.

Looks good, and like you say- free(we like free)

.243 may be a bit big. Maybe a .223 or .224 in a .22 mag case?

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote::O I'm sorry if you felt upset, Spam, by my (casual) observations on used cartridge cases. I was simply pointing out how stringent laws are in the EU, and especially the UK on Firearms, parts of firearms,and their munitions....not knocking your contribution. The idea of using spent cartridges as scale tank shells is not in fact new on the forum, as it cropped up fairly recently. There I suggested using Nato 5.56 rounds as ersatz 88mm tank rounds (16 x 5.56= 88.96, and so a close approximation). Used rounds of all calibers can be bought online, but as I understand it, they're not viable; that is they're put beyond re-use (except for those with Firearms certificates..and they're as rare as rocking horse s**t to obtain here, and some other EU nations.). Lighters and lamps have been made from them, as well as other novelties, just so with mills bombs and artillery shells....But posting it, or taking by plane can be quite a different, and problematic matter.. considering regulations, and how things are x-rayed these days. This is how I had the .303 used shells confiscated by the Police (Polizei).
As Gary says, continue to make innovative suggestions. We all try to here, I'm sure. :thumbup:
Here's an article on viable cartridges, and reusing them, if your interested. :) It applies to the UK, but our latest stringent rules on firearms related issues come from the EU: a political and bureaucratic union we never asked to join (we signed for an economic union :shh: ). But now we're leaving.......
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/leg ... egal-81336

I see your point, I'm originally from the U.K. & was (unusually) a target & match shooter. These are emphatically NOT viable. There is a huge difference between a center-fire & a rim-fire case, center-fires can be reloaded tens of times (unless its a .303 (groan)), but rim-fires are very much one shot & done so reloading isn't a relevant part of the task.
The police manual excerpt above very clearly states (& I completely agree) that complete, functioning, loaded ammunition IS regulated & can only be possessed by a holder of an FAC (license) for that exact caliber of round, but components (specifically mentioned as cases & Brass) is not!
It will be noted
that the definition of ammunition does
not include ingredients and components
of ammunition; it is only assembled
ammunition that is controlled under the
Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
cases, for example, are not “ammunition”
.

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 pm

This is just one more reason I call this my home forum, because of how the men here calmly and rationally resolve any type of dispute or conflict. On RCU guys would have been calling each other ten kinds of douchebag by now, instead of calmly and rationally expressing viable opinions on the subject.

You guys really are the best. Long live RCTW and all its members. :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) 8)
User avatar
Max-U52
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby DRC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:42 am

I have thousands of 17 HMR spent cases in my garage. If anyone in the UK wants some just let me know and I'll happily post you some.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

DRC
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:39 am
Location: East Yorks and North Lincs. UK

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:10 am

Spam In A Can 26 wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Yeah mate, help away.
Each nation has things peculiar to it, but that is no barrier to ideas and suggestions :thumbup:

I have some .243 ballistic capped projectiles I can use for 'warheads' on the end of spent shell cases, so your idea is great.

Looks good, and like you say- free(we like free)

.243 may be a bit big. Maybe a .223 or .224 in a .22 mag case?


Correction, they are .222
The .243 ones are for another project.
.222 common round for Kangaroo shooting here
Also along with .223

Good use of ready made materials mate, clearly some don't understand that it will vary according to the individual geographic, and was intended as advice/ idea rather than any subversive suggestion to run foul of any local law !

Nice work
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Captain
 
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby Aussie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 am

Up here after the army has done an exercise in the bush there are hundreds of spent 5.56mm dummy shell cases to pick up , cut off the ground up pretend projectile and boom , spent shell casings for the tanks.

Aussie
Corporal
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:49 pm
Location: Darwin , N.T. , Australia.

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am

Well, the weapon laws are quite strict in the good old Europe. Some years ago I wanted to buy an Sig 552 commando AIRSOFT magazine in the UK shipped to Spain, and the seller refused to send anything outside the UK because he was having really big problems with the parcels at the post office due to some stupid weapons police.

The most effective way would be using a courier, and wrap the bunch of shells with aluminium paper, so there is no way to see whats inside in such a small packet.

Dont get the things personal, Spam-in-a-can. I would happyly grab a bunch of shells from you, but the shipping its a bit a steepy.
User avatar
Rad_Schuhart
Sergeant
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 am

Postby Spam In A Can 26 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Are you anywhere near DRC? See his post, complete with kind offer above. :thumbup:

Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: MD, U.S.A.

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest