Vice ?

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Vice ?

Post by jarndice »

When I need to Dremel or use a larger power tool in combination with a VICE I too often have come upon the problem of clamping something lacking two opposite straight sides or any other obvious way of holding it firmly in place.
I Use A portion of a CELLULOSE Kitchen Sponge Wipe, They come in 6 to a pack, They are generally 8 to 10 mm thick and sized 16cms x 12cms from any supermarket/Kitchen drawer :lolno:
Laying the object to be drilled onto the sponge near to the straight edge but not so close as to lose the cushion effect of the sponge, draw an outline in the sponge of the side nearest the VICE jaw of the objects edge,
Leaving a generous amount of excess sponge, cut out the shape and repeat for the opposite side.
Using a dab of "Bluetack or similar to hold the sponge in position along the edge of the object that will be clamped, place the object in the jaws of the VICE align it and tighten.
You now have the object supported along both sides and as you tighten the VICE the sponge fills the irregular shape with the straight edge of the outside of the sponge butting up against the walls of the VICE, And everything being held firmly in place and the sponge helping to avoid marking it.
It works for me.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Vice ?

Post by AlwynTurner »

Great tip Shaun, and will help greatly to avoid marking the object being worked on! Thanks for sharing.

:clap: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “Tips and Tricks”