Jagdtiger Upgrades!

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
jackalope
Lieutenant

Jagdtiger Upgrades!

Post by jackalope »

When I went to look at the Torro Jagdtiger for the first time in person the one thing that bugged me was the gun travel lock didn't move. This is how I fixed it, enjoy. :D

Here you see the factory travel lock, it looks nice but it doesn't move. :thumbdown: Christian offers 2 different travel locks for the JT, 1 made of zinc and 1 hand made of brass. I chose the zinc one as I liked the look a little better and it was less expensive so win win! :thumbup:

Remove the upper hull and look on the inside of the front and you'll find 2 pins that go through the hull that are part of the travel lock and they're crazy glued in. I drilled the pins out so the factory travel lock could then be removed. Note the lower "hinged" parts, I used the factory ones I simple cut the travel lock free of the hinge parts that mount to the deck.

Once removed and set next to the new one from Christian, you can also see where I cut the original towards the bottom.

I then cut and filed down the left over piece from the hinge leaving just the portion that would attach to the tank then I test fit it.

Here it is raised still in test fitting. Note green squadron putty used to fill the pins holes also while I was at it I removed and puttied over the red LED that's to the left of the main cannon.

Here's the finished product! I also sanded down the fake old bolts and drilled out the deck hinge parts for a screw and nut. Also added the tiny brass parts for the travel lock, sadly I lost 1 of the tiny nuts for the brass bits so I just added a tiny drop of crazy glue to help hold it all together. I plan to use the insulation off of a wire to make a replacement "nut" for it. The crazy glue holds it all together perfectly the insulation will just be for cosmetics. Also need a couple more coats of paint to darken up the repaired area.

And yes it does go up and down and folds away juuuuuust like the real thing would! If anyone needs/wants more pics please just let me know, or if you have any questions please feel free.

Next time I'll be replacing the factory plastic mud flaps :thumbdown: with the metal ones that RCtanksde sells mounted on brass hinges and working! :thumbup:

Till the mud flaps arrive... :wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Jagdtiger Upgrades!

Post by Max-U52 »

That looks great, Jack. Now I might have to do that to mine. So how much was it with shipping and how long did it take to get to you? He takes paypal, right?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

It was €24.78 shipped, like 2 weeks, and yes he takes paypal. And thank you!
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Nice touch..really adds to the overall impression.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You sure you're wearing pants while working on this thing Mr Jack !!?
I know I would struggle :haha:

After visiting with the Jagd at the old Aberdeen proving grounds in 2010 and seeing up close the gouges in the glacis armour, I always had a plan that if ever I got an RC one that I would make a localised thicknessing lamination and try to replicate the depth of the shot gouge.
Sure was a hell of a machine to be near let alone be opposing one.

Go you for getting hold of one Sir.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

thank you for good photo serie :thumbup:

Nice uppgrade
Drammen Rock City
pedal2metal
Private

Post by pedal2metal »

Looks cool! I have a blank canvas Jagdtiger upper & lower waiting in boxes to be done in the near future. Are there in RC tank groups down your way in Md? (I'm in South York, Pa)
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

pedal2metal wrote:Looks cool! I have a blank canvas Jagdtiger upper & lower waiting in boxes to be done in the near future. Are there in RC tank groups down your way in Md? (I'm in South York, Pa)
I wish there were but sadly no. If you're in York PA maybe we can get together and try to come up with one.
Where in York are you?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I don't know how I missed this Jack,
A brilliant conversion of a static part to a fully functioning piece of engineering, Nice.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Thank you Mr.Shaun! I'm no where near the league of some of you professional builders but I'm learning and trying. :D

Return to “Tips and Tricks”