Barrel velocity

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Hetzer
Recruit

Barrel velocity

Post by Hetzer »

Heres a little tip on increasing the range on HL airsoft mechanisms.( But I take no responsibility for any modifications made following this post or any resulting eye injuries) :O . If you take apart the barrel and breech mechanisms you will find that there is a lot of movement between parts. Especially where the barrel fits into the outer sleeve of the breech. By increasing interference via the use of white ptfe tape and epoxy all the air leaks are closed and therefore increasing the velocity of the bb leaving the barrel. Some barrels, ie the king tiger, there is also a small hole drilled in the barrel to allow air to escape behind the bb as it travels down the barrel. This I imagine is done to lower the FPS, making the model safer. But at a cost of much shorter range. Wrap tape/or seal with epoxy to increase muzzle velocity further. Its amazing how much more range you can get which gives you the edge in a bun fight :thumbup: , especially if your short barreled Sherman is getting a splapping from said KT :thumbdown: . You can also take advantage of the extra velocity by using .20 bb’s instead of the supplied .12g ones, for a more harder hitting round. Best not to go any heavier though, or your opponent will get upset when pieces of his beloved get smashed off during a strike. Something like a .40 bb would be like throwing golf balls across the battle field. As soon as I get the chance I will chronograph before and after barrel velocity to see just how much more fps is gained, just out of interest.
Now I wonder, what would happen if I changed the main spring in the mechanism and used a higher torque motor????? @)
Phil
Corporal

Re: Barrel velocity

Post by Phil »

Thank you for that, must admit I like the BB battling side. I've never gone to a tank i.r. meeting, and as my friend only has BB versions in his tanks we stick with that. I like the site of a BB pinging off the turret or not in most shots all good fun.

The thought of BB and i.r. would be interesting resulting in the tank grinding to a halt having been hit my a BB! :crazy:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hello Hetzer... Have you tried putting tight bore barrels in any of your tanks... I wouldn't go lower than a 6.3 but it should improve the velocity by 10% ... I use them in all my airsoft guns... and have put what I took out from those in my tanks.. the bores are approx 6.4 but yes the do improve the accuracy and fps just a tad :D

Thanks for Sharing Hetzer :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Just an added note.... If any of you have the Mato Sherman... I advise you all to change the barrel.... the stock inner barrel on he Mato has a hole drilled through.. at the mid point... it serves no purpose but to create an air leak... you will loose velocity and accuracy

ALPHA
huskydog
Recruit

Post by huskydog »

hi there. some of the airsoft barrels are to long on the tanks and require the holes drilled in them(part of the way along) to allow the bb to exit the barrel without the bb suffering deceleration because of cavitation behind it. if you look at the size(volume) of the chamber of air which is compressed by the piston its not enough to get the ball to the end of the barrel. the leopard 2 that i have will only dribble a ball out of the barrel if you block the two holes that are at the base of the barrel. the whole bb system in these tanks are built with huge clearance margins to allow cheap bbs to be used. short barrel like on a sherman may not suffer the problem and may benefit with holes being blocked up. still looking into the best way of uprating the system.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hello Huskydog... I see where you are coming from... it might just be true... thing is ... I've seen cheap airsoft guns with plastic gearboxes very similar in size to the RC tanks...with barrels three times as long without any perforations ... so though your theory sounds valid...it really isn't as relativity kind of plays into the picture...I haven't tested my Mato Sherman yet...replaced that with a 6.6 or 6.8 not great ...but better than the stock Mato...will let you know how it works out ;)

ALPHA
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hey Guys, posted last year was the recoiling airsoft system in a Tiger. Lets just say I know that system very well. Here's my point, the system works because of several of the issues you guys have raised, the vent holes are key, as mentioned. Also the cyclinder/airchamber seal inside the compression assembly. That seal does need a slight lubricant and the chamber a very fine polishing.

The spring behind the chamber can be supplimented as well with another inner spring inside the original larger spring,not so much to encrease force as speed of the chamber moving. Speed creates a more sudden burst of air.

Barrel sealing is a fine point, and key. the original barrel seal is pretty lame,the thread tape a good solution as well.

Oh one other point, the guide grooves the chamber slides on can be smoothed as well, the key is motion not force. I spent many hours working as did Perry S on RC Universe and Thomas J Murphy who did sell upgraded guns for a while. The BB tanks can be fun,Glow in the dark pellets, and even paintball have been used by us. Dietrich as well has a long time creating these mods.

Check this out guys- viewtopic.php?f=182&t=10382

The wheels of progress turn slow, Lets just say the Porsche,Henschel and Jagdpanther are also worked out.

I need a bit of feedback guys, I know i've been absent, school at 50 has been difficult, but I have gotten back to my tanks slowly, point being if the gun system had no delay, meaning fire button and fire yet still remain airsoft and basically the same turret configuration would this not be a vast improvement?

I'm working it out, trouble is the control for one and a slight jamming of the actuator. The delay happens, but after firing so let me be clear on that sorry. Yet this is no more than reloading time right? So the gun is fire,reload fire. Also trying to work out the signal light to only be active with a ready to fire gun, then we still have safety yet functional purpose.

Feedback not only welcome but wanted. I have always been airsoft focused, being my tank club of 2 one 50 one 5 has always been more interested in shooting,lol.

Saxondog
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey there Saxon... a few tricks from the ol' airsoft bag of tricks... drill a couple of holes behind he piston head...a lot of airsofters... actually took this to an extreme by skeletonizing the piston... not necessary... it did lighten the piston...but what I found...was the holes actually decrease the vacuum created by the forward motion of the piston... all I did was drill two small holes one on top and one on the bottom...the result was like venting a gas can... the piston moved forward with less drag... and increased the fps and rate of fire ... and was much more sensible that swiss cheesing the piston.... also center the actuator by shimming the cylinder head with a rubber washer... grinding off the first tooth of the piston is required

It would be nice if someone manufactured a metal piston for these things... and also some metal gears... upping the spring puts a lot of stress on those parts..

actually an entire metal assembly would be nice ...something universal that can fit in all models and brands...maybe with just a change out of the pivot point

ALPHA
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I'll try the venting holes, makes since. Just getting a few guns together and barrels now. Many of my tanks are in a state of repair or modification, then life came and things got busy. Now I have a few hours a week to just sit and relax a bit.

The airsoft have been fun from the start, did you like the recoiling gun?

cheers Blake
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Saxondog wrote:I'll try the venting holes, makes since. Just getting a few guns together and barrels now. Many of my tanks are in a state of repair or modification, then life came and things got busy. Now I have a few hours a week to just sit and relax a bit.

The airsoft have been fun from the start, did you like the recoiling gun?

cheers Blake
Hello Blake
Yes I did like that recoiling gun... did it ever go into some kind of production? It sounded like it was a prototype

ALPHA

Return to “Tips and Tricks”