Bluing Metal Tracks

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Bluing Metal Tracks

Post by SovereignZuul »

Bluing Metal Tracks

Want a really nice finish for your metal tracks but paint isn't tough enough and you don't want to chance the vinegar trick? Try a gun blue! The finish is hard, has a nice texture and a great color! Best of all you can use the tracks right away! The process is very fast. From start to finish you can have a finished set of tracks in just a few hours! The actual labor time I would estimate at 30 minutes or less!

I was asked about bluing in my build thread so I thought to put the tip here as well.

The blue is a firearms related product. It's a common way of finishing the metal surface of guns. The blue is a chemical acidic liquid that rusts the surface of a gun in a helpful way. There are at least three kids of acid in the compound mixture. Any ferrous metals can be blued except for aluminum and stainless steel, perhaps more but I do not know. You get the idea, that any metal that easily rusts can be blued.

On raw metal the bluing will literally, before your eyes almost instantly rust the surface of the metal it contacts with. The rust is black and hard, not typical soft brown flakes. It's not how you think of ordinary rust and actually can be helpful in protecting the metal. Liquid blue comes in different formula for different color finishes. If you don't like the black/grey there are other colors.

Here is the product I chose. Birchwood Casey Super Blue. It has been used by others who have done this to metal tracks as well with great result.

That little 3 oz would be enough for a small firearm like a handgun, or some touch up. For the tracks I used every drop! There is a lot of surface area for a set of tracks! You might want to get a little extra if planning to do this so you don't run out in the middle of doing it.

A warning!!!! The blue is very, very dangerous. You must wear gloves when working with it, like rubber surgical gloves and definitely wear eye protection! The acid can stain, or hurt your skin after exposure, can cause blindness in eyes and can be fatal if even a small amount is ingested! If you like, wear a mask too to avoid splashes in mouth or nose. Also, the blue has very little odor.

The process follows...

1. Take your item to be blued and thoroughly wash it with soapy water. Remove any dust, grease, fingerprints, or anything else that could interfere with the bluing. Do this with clean hands so you do not transfer anything to the item while handling it.
2. Rinse the item with water and make sure all soap and residue is removed!
3. Set up your work area. I used my very large kitchen sink, stainless steel so it wouldn't get damaged by the blue. Put on safety gear before opening the blue! Using a bowl, dish or other container pour a small amount of blue in it and place the container in the sink. I used a large glass bowl big enough to fit the track in. I also cleaned an old toothbrush with soap for the project. Also, put an old rag, or paper towels down for the tracks to dry on once the bluing is done.
4. Once set-up I then used the toothbrush and dipped the brush in the liquid blue and rubbed the brush's bristles onto the surface I was bluing. Don't worry about water on the tracks, it had no bad effect on the process. The blue liquid is very thin like water and should flow into all the cracks but be sure to get every little inch of the track covered in blue. You should see the track changing color rapidly to know the process is working. Keep on getting the blue on the track where it needs it and go all over. You don't need to rub hard, just make sure you get every area you can.
5. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes per track, that might be pushing it! Don't make multiple passes unless you need to get a spot you missed as you can even rub off the nice new surface you've given the metal. Once the entire track is done, or you need to stop for some reason, wash off the track with cold water immediately! I was actually rinsing mine, and then submerging it and shaking it under the water to make sure every bit of the blue was gone. Rinse multiple times! Once you are certain it is rinsed well take the track, shake off excess water if you like and place it on the rag/towel to dry. It might take awhile to fully dry. If handled you might rub off some the the finish onto your hands so be patient.
6. When dry, inspect, and enjoy your new tracks! Paint, weather, or do with as you like now!

I have not personally run my tracks yet but it's been said that the blue can wear off in well uses spots. This would further the finish as the silver tracks would show in worn spots making the tracks appear to be like real tank tracks even more! Get them dirty and worn a bit and you have some authentic tank tracks for your model! For a static model I might still recommend paint over blue.

Other tankers than have done this too! Thanks to these builders for sharing the process publicly!

http://www.rctankhq.com/project1.htm
http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctankfor ... hp?p=25565

Wildboar44
Corporal

Re: Bluing Metal Tracks

Post by Wildboar44 »

Nice Tip Sov ...... thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi all,

Just thought I would post my experience with this technique for blacking tracks.

I have just used the Birchwood Casey Super blue to colour a set of HL Sherman tracks, following the instructions from this post. Fantastic result. Great colour and texture ofter being treated. Looks like it will wear realistically too, but don't know for certain as the tracks are still drying! Very pleased with the results thus far.

Great tip SovereignZuul, very much appreciate you sharing it.

I bought my gun blueing fluid from these guys on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310683632691? ... 1497.l2649

Great price, and open to offers too, but in my experience took a while to dispatch and quite poor communication. It took 8 days for the stuff to be delivered, which is longer than I normally have to wait for eBay purchases.

Anyway as I said very pleased with the result, and I will definitely use this method again.
rock
Recruit

Post by rock »

Hi,

Very good and comprehensive explanation.

I have followed and blued my IMPACT king tiger tracks today. Instead of using a brush, i used a spray bottle from Mr. Muscle and it worked very well. The reason of using spraying is because Super Blue suggested the chemical should not stay on the metal parts more than 1 minutes so i dont believe i will be fast enough to brush all track links.

I literately poured all super blue into the bottle and sprayed all over the tracks. The colour changed instantly and uniformly. Left the tracks react with the chemical for 30 sec and dipped into a large water bucket from B & Q. Raised three times and jet-washed twice. Wiped off all excess water and left on the top of the radiator to dry. After 3 hours, it had completely dried so i put them back to the KY which is now ready to run.

Here are some pictures.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Here is the spray I got from ASDA:

Image[/URL]

Rock
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I thought I made a post about this when I joined after I did the tracks from my Tiger but I guess not.

Rock, the reason it gives a time warning is because the manufacturer is assuming you will be using it on the machined surface of a gun, not the cast metal of a set of toy tank tracks. These bluing agents use acids to help the chemicals get into the metal and if you leave acid on a nice machined gun barrel too long it may cause noticeable marks however on a set of tracks those marks aren't a big deal.

Instant gun bluing does were off if you take your tank outside often luckily it is easy enough to re-do. Right now my Tigers tracks look like they were never blued at all but thats thanks to dirt, mud, grass, concrete, black top, gravel, and snow. :haha:

I maaaay try to do real rust bluing to them to see how it holds up but it takes MUCH longer to do but should last a heck of a lot longer.
Panzerhun
Private

Post by Panzerhun »

I like this.
This will be work on original track links also?????
Jagdtiger the king, but a Jagdpanther the best! ;)

HL KV1e
HL Tiger
mike1268
Corporal

Post by mike1268 »

Love this affect. I was just going to black wash my tracks and be done with it. Now I've ordered this stuff :D
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

I use AK's Burnishing fluid on my tracks and soak in Acetone for an hour before hand..The article below helped me with my first set and I achieved some excellent results with this method..))

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo ... nteractive

Jake
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Panzerhun wrote:I like this.
This will be work on original track links also?????

As long as they are metal, yes.
Panzerhun
Private

Post by Panzerhun »

Ohhh, yeahhh! ;)
Attachments
FB_20150204_08_06_20_Saved_Picture.jpg
Jagdtiger the king, but a Jagdpanther the best! ;)

HL KV1e
HL Tiger

Return to “Tips and Tricks”