Axle support bearings

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
yagen
Recruit

Re: Axle support bearings

Post by yagen »

Hi Mick,

no problem. I fully understood that you just wanted to make it clear that usually applying heat is usually unnecessary. Alas, in my secondary hobby (classic cars) it is sometimes necessary, if only to get rid of rust :'( .

A short off topic question: You mentioned "hydrogen bearings". Am I guessing correct that you mean bearings that are actually hydrogen tight? This is extremely impressive as hydrogen is the most volatile gas in nature - if I remember correctly.

So long, regards
Reinhard
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello Reinhard.

LOL you with rusty bearings, surely you would change them?

Yes, many years ago companies manufactured various types of gas bearings, I don't know what they do these days. I'm going back to the late 70's, early 80's, when I think it was in its infancy.
Yes, hydrogen is highly volatile, but it is also the least dense element, therefore will give the most friction free running. The accuracy and tolerances were something quite astounding to have two surfaces that close/tight moving so freely. That's why just the natural oils/acids on one's finger tips would render the bearing useless in that it wouldn't run as efficiently.
Like I say, I don't know if they use such things these days. I have lost touch with things.

Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

Hi Mick,

of course I replace rusty bearings. What I meant is that it is nigh impossible to remove a bearing when it is old and rusty without heat and / or freezing. :D

These hydrogen bearings sound really impressive. :thumbup: Would love to see one in real life.

So long, regards,
Reinhard
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Removing old bearings is different ;)

I'll send you a PM for other matters :thumbup:

Mick.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Just a conclusion, just in case anyone curious wants to get REALLY bored.

The designing of gas lubricating bearings started in the 60's, with the idea of almost friction free running with no usual wear and tear or heat generation associated with normal bearing types.
Anyway, almost all types of gas was tried out and used instead of oils and grease, and the bearings were basically over engineered bushes with pressurised gas. And they were/are probably some of the most expensive type of bearing.

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Just a conclusion, just in case anyone curious wants to get REALLY bored.

The designing of gas lubricating bearings started in the 60's, with the idea of almost friction free running with no usual wear and tear or heat generation associated with normal bearing types.
Anyway, almost all types of gas was tried out and used instead of oils and grease, and the bearings were basically over engineered bushes with pressurised gas. And they were/are probably some of the most expensive type of bearing.
There is a guy here that developed a turbo charger that has its spinning components supported on air. It also acts as a pre-cooler for the intake charge.
You can actually put your hand on the body after its been running.
Of course the gas lubrication concept is also supported by a normally complex and highly reactive failsafe system in case of loss of pressure.

None of which is relevant for a 1/16th tank !!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

HERMAN BIX wrote:None of which is relevant for a 1/16th tank !!!!
I know, I was just trying to emphasise my background knowledge re my earlier statements, just went on a bit :{

Sounds like your countryman got it spot on :thumbup:

Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

Something to think about when pressing bearings onto tank-gearbox axles: The flat bits that fit into the metal sprockets, usually are machined somewhat crude, and -more often than not- have burrs. Added to that, Torro/Henglong etc. have their axles/sprocket shafts chromed, and that is also often quite uneven and somewhat crude.

Often it’s enough to just sand the end of the shaft where the flat bit is. It’ll remove burrs and such, and ùsually after that, the bearings slide-on just fine.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”