Tamiya Tiger 1 Torsion Bar Setup

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
rik242
Recruit

Tamiya Tiger 1 Torsion Bar Setup

Post by rik242 »

Reviving a partially built Tamiya Tiger 1 that was started about 20 years ago. I fitted metal tracks, which adds to the weight obviously. I also fitted years ago a metal torsion bar kit to replace the standard Tamiya supplied. I think they were made by a company called Wecohe? I'm not sure. Anyway, the torsion bars have sagged a fair bit due to its time on a shelf. Can anyone recommend a way to readjust the torsion bars please.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya Tiger 1 Torsion Bar Setup

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening,
you should never let a tank rest on its tracks, except for rolling, I have a block of wood the width of the chassis, so that the tracks are raised.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The end of the torsion bar that is furthest from the wheel it supports needs to be twisted so as to lift the suspension. The end will be clamped in some way, possibly slotted or shaped sitting in a keyway. You will need to adjust all of the bars until the tank sits level at the height you desire, then, as suggested, park it on a block to keep the weight off.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Wecohe are different to Tamiya - I had a set once and they were a pita to adjust.

You need to undo the grub screw, twist them and then tighten the grub screw. Repeat until tension added.

The block under the tank is a great idea - I did it with all of mine.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:( by rereading your post? I have a doubt? would you speak of this suspension system, and not the Tamiya one ??
1ED88571-AE67-4EBA-AA29-418E07756771.png
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
yes this is the Corleis Suspension.
Mr. Corleis give the Co to WeCoHe...
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:'( I have never had this type of torsion bars? but in view of the photos, I think that the adjustment is done, as it was said above, on the side opposite the wheel, by loosening the small grub screw (part with spring) to lower the arm, in the direction compression of the spring, in order to stiffen the system, but only engages me ???
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

I don't like this suspension adjustment system, on the one hand because the adjustment screws are small and fragile if you tighten too hard, on the other hand because to adjust them, you have to remove the upper hull and then we don 't have the total weight of the tank when we carry out the adjustment ... I had created another system on my KV1S where the screws are accessible from the underside of the tank, and the tightening is done with bolts which them , are not fragile

jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
there is a easy solution for adjusting the Corleis:
JATI14.jpg
JATI14.jpg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
Put weights on the hull for adjusment:
JATI16.jpg
JATI16.jpg (66.97 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
This suspension work for models up to 15kg!!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I wonder if that method will work for the impact style suspension in my Tamy Tiger I bought a while back ?
Just load it with ballast and set ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tips and Tricks”