DIY Decals

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
wibblywobbly
Major

DIY Decals

Post by wibblywobbly »

Found this technique on You Tube, just uses plain paper and looks impressive.

phpBB [video]
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: DIY Decals

Post by Max-U52 »

Back in the 80s we used clear lacquer to transfer the image from a poster to the hood or deck lid of a car. You would lay the poster down face up and shoot the front of it with about 12 coats of clear lacquer. Then you flip it over and use warm soapy water to remove the paper until all you're left with is a thin layer of lacquer with the image on the back of it. Then shoot a layer of lacquer on the car and lay the poster on that and then shoot about six more coats of clear. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it allowed us to put complex murals on vehicles without having to hire an airbrush artist.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I have often wondered about using inkjet printable self adhesive matt clear plastic A4 sheets to print 'details' such as dashboard & instrument panels, has anyone tried?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

There is an unlawful way of printing off instrument panels, Number plates etc, I do not condone it BUT if you have an inkjet printer go to anywhere on the web where images of instrument panels etc can be found and set up your printer to print out the correct size image and go for it, then Pritt stick the now proper size panel in place or use double sided tape and paint it over with clear varnish.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Niall
Recruit

Post by Niall »

I've used inkjet film to make transfers(decals). This product comes in 2 versions, clear and white. I find the clear film is only usable for black as inkjet colours are not dense enough to cover underlying paint.

To use the product make your design on a vector drawing program, I use Drawplus. Print on the film and leave to dry, then spray 2 coats of gloss acrylic varnish, a final coat of matt or satin can be done over this. I leave it overnight to dry then cut out and apply. When dry varnish.

This photo shows my 1/72nd scale Wasp with markings on white -

Return to “Tips and Tricks”