Pin Vicing hinges.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Pin Vicing hinges.

Post by jarndice »

I have been pin vicing holes for hinges for years and up to now I have through sheer good luck always got it right,
But is there a failsafe method so that instead of putting it off I can with an air of confidence just do it ?
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Pin Vicing hinges.

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Jarndice,
There is not enough luck in the world to come out with consistently good results using micro drill bits to drill hole. Some of your good fortune is invariably, skill. Two things I use that help, one a tool and one a discovery from early on in the business... Buy yourself a Yankee Drill so you can add speed to your accuracy equation when required and secondly, always start with a smaller hole than you need. ( always easier to rabbit out the right size hole when the location is correct )
regards and drill on, Sir,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Thank you my Hero, I always do start with a smaller bit so perhaps that is the secret,
I know when I was cutting out hatches I would use The Green filler and wait for it to harden before working it to give a good fit then one day I had a DURHH moment and thought why not wet the Hatch to stop it sticking to the filler and press it into the still soft filler and then carefully lift away leaving the exact shape of the hatch and just leaving the filler to dry before removing the excess,
And that moment of enlightenment is why I ask for help from the more quick witted members of this Forum,
Thank you yet again for metaphorically looking over my shoulder to save me from myself :haha:
Shaun.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

A couple of useful tips in the above. Would either of you mind if I moved this to the Tips & Tricks section?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

That's fine with me Richard as long as I get the usual fee and written confirmation of my Copyright :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
No problems here. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

To add to the better way of getting hinges aligned if you are for instance fitting hinged front fenders on a Panzer 4, File off the moulded on hinges then stick double sided tape on the back of the replacement metal hinge and carefully place it in position and pin vice the holes for the Bolts/Fixings through the holes in the hinge on the part that is not being removed, Then peel the hinge off and place it on one side while you cut the fender off safe in the knowledge that it will all line up when you fit the replacement fender.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”