Ideas for turret bearings.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Re: I need a pearl necklace. . . .

Post by jarndice »

Mick Is there a reason why you are confining the direction of spin of the "Bead"?
Cant it just be allowed to freewheel in the confines of its enclosure ?
Surely you only need to ensure that the "Bead" cannot escape from its box And that the box interior is not made of a high "Drag" material,?
Just the Turret alone would provide the lid to the enclosure keeping the "Bead" in place..
I love engineering solutions to problems, although in this case I am not sure many Tank Builders would see that there was a problem :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: I need a pearl necklace. . . .

Post by BarryC »

Interesting notion Mick!

I had been considering some type of bearing surface for my Abrams turret. I had thought about a slippery nylon strip of sorts but you idea makes more sense.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Ideas for turret bearings.

Post by jarndice »

Mick I do like your thoughts of a Metal ball in a Nylon socket but I have my doubts as whether a home 3D Printer would be capable of the small size of the item and its tolerances.
I would go looking toward the manufacturer of Surgical Implants (Various Joints)and model engineering suppliers for a source before trying a home built,
Not to buy but to see what is required to make one.
Shaun.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It shouldn't be massive challenge to mimic the basic Tamiya turret roller system shown here on the KT. The metal bars used as axles could be made out of brass tubing, the roller bearings cut out of a styrene sheet with a small circular hole-saw (mini tank cutter), and the supporting bearing shells cut out of sheet styrene. Tamiya use three bearings, but there's nothing to stop you using five or six, if OTT tendencies kick in :lolno:
Tamiya turret bearing system..
Tamiya turret bearing system..
I've just tried it, and it seems to work pretty well...(the system, not the reproduction of it) :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
gisalook
Lance Corporal

Post by gisalook »

Hi Guys
Have you tried Delrin plastic? Very (slipery) Super slipery with just a touch of oil.
The South will rise again.

That's South Wales mun Boyo.
.U.K.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Somewhere on here is my Taigen Panther G build. To smooth up the turret rotation without drilling or adding a lot of height to the ring, I went to Home Despot and got those dot sized furniture sliders. Hard, smooth and very slippery to the touch. They are also self adhesive and 4 - 6 of them work perfectly on most types of tanks to keep that turret rotating smoothly.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I know this isn't along the "roller" lines that all of you are discussing, but I have had luck using transparent colored section dividers for notebooks. These vary in thickness from 0.005" to 0.007" depending on manufacturer. I use a circle cutter and cut a ring that fits around the turret boss and doesn't show past the turret sides. They're slippery enough to let the turret turn more easily; while allowing the entire turret under-surface to be supported. I've found that one thickness is sufficient, but you could always make multiple layers if you had an uneven hull top, or something. -Mike
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Here is a different thought on turret bearings. o-
Cheers
Steve
Screen Shot 2017-08-27.png
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

That last one makes even more sense as the turrets don't seem to fit precisely anyway. The bearing placement would be able to adjust for that slop. And it looks really simple.

Be well,
Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve if you do decide to buy the Metal Turret Ring with Bearings I would suggest you get the 360 Degree wiring harness at the same time as finding an aftermarket one separately is not easy, make sure it is the "BB" one and not the "IR" one, also you should be aware that the Metal Turret Ring comes in two sizes, Your Tiger2 takes the "Large" one.
I have two of these Turret rings but I am still wondering how much harm in the long term they will be doing to the sheet of unsupported ABS underneath them, :lolno:
Shaun.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”