Stowage from fabric, instead of plastic or metal!

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Stowage from fabric, instead of plastic or metal!

Post by Spam In A Can 26 »

We'll see how well it ends up. I never "got" the plastic stowage so I decided to try scratch built from fabric & bric a brac.
So far I have a rolled tent, made from an old, dirty pillowcase that was used as a dust cover on a machine. To scale it out I looked at some pics from a tank museum. It ended up as a circular disc of fabric the size of a dinner plate with a slot cut in to the center from one side. Then I folded it & rolled it in the same way I'd fold a real teepee type tent & secured it with a bead of contact cement on the inside & tied it with scrap fabric. When its dry I'll paint it & add the poles & some twine as a tie down. Tent poles made from toothpicks & hollow cotton bud stems for ferrules & a sleeping bag made from felt & the same fabric. Tie down straps are twist ties & thin twine for the tie ropes. I'm also working on a steel tow cable made from stripped electrical wire & heat shrink tubing for the end loop clamps.
:O
Film @ 11 when the glue dries.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Stowage from fabric, instead of plastic or metal!

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking forward to seeing your work . I have also used old thin canvas and cotton tee shirts and toothpicks to make stowage accessories. I've also used paint mixing sticks that I've trimmed down to make stowage racks and such
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Post by Spam In A Can 26 »

Basic setup, no paint or detailing. I'm thinking the tie down cord looks too thick, more like a ship's hawser than cordage?

After painting & swapping for a thinner "cord" (a strand from kitchen twine) I also liked the look of the end of the roll; so I inverted them with the seam up.

Some more paint details to go, view-ports in the commander's cupola & so on. I need 4 more winter sleeping bags, but I have to figure out where the heck to put them. I probably am going to buy rucks as that's a bit beyond my pay grade!
:/
I did paint the track pullers though so they separate a bit better from the turret.

I'm working on labeling for the ammo crates as well, they're too "plain". #1 idea is clear labels from a "Dymo", but we'll see.
This is my first try, I have to scale it down a lot though.

I'm thinking photo mount spray adhesive & cutouts, test to follow. :O
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking great. I've used lamp pull string and packing string that I've weathered. Yours will look perfect once you add the finishing touches
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Can also use embroidery cord...............I went to a sewing shop & got a bundle of 6 different colours for next to stuff all.
Mr Frankie uses this stuff on his stowage & his is world-class.
Ive not needed mine as yet, but have tested it for effect & its really the stuff to use.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

Looks great, nice idea.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I collect old tee shirts and rags to make stowage blankets and tarps. I just start with any size that I feel is best and color and cut to size. This one I just added some different washes.

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm still trying to make tents, so I picked up a material called Supplex and it works very well to recreate canvass. I hear a lot of the model sail boat guys use it to make sails. Also, if you check out the Syren Model Ship Company you'll find they have excellent rope at decent prices in a variety of diameters and colors. And it ships cheap so going across the pond shouldn't be too bad.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Here's two different sizes on this Sherman and the tarp is made from Supplex

When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”