1/35 Chieftain Mk5 - Friulmodel metal track r\c build video

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

1/35 Chieftain Mk5 - Friulmodel metal track r\c build video

Post by modler »

Video of left metal track in action https://youtu.be/JUMwju7NtUE

Video of Chieftain Mk.5 with both metal tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkbb_MMyRKg&t=4s

I bought this motorized version of the Chieftain on ebay and it was shipped from the UK. The Chieftain is the successor to the Centurion as far as I can tell. After getting this tank it sat around for a year and I had forgotten about it as I have two Centurion tanks running so I did not think about building the Chieftain until I realized there was a nice set of metal tracks available for it.

So recently I have been working with ITL tracks and have discovered it is difficult to get the right tracks for any model so that is fits the sprockets correctly. I have bought some and had to send them back as they do not work for one reason or another. In the meantime, my efforts being frustrated, I wanted some success with ITL and decided to go with metal so that I at least have something with ITL.
I selected the Chieftain Mk 5 as Friulmodel makes a set that will work according to info on the net.

This is my first metal track build. First thing I can report is these tracks are a lot easier to build compared to plastic ITL tracks.
Attachments
Track adjusted and ready to run
Track adjusted and ready to run
IMG_8705.jpg (56.47 KiB) Viewed 968 times
This model allows adjustment of the track via 1 screw and has enough adjustment to instal the track with the wheels and sprockets installed
This model allows adjustment of the track via 1 screw and has enough adjustment to instal the track with the wheels and sprockets installed
IMG_8708.jpg (52.72 KiB) Viewed 968 times
40 links and counting.
40 links and counting.
IMG_8704.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
It is very exciting to see a metal track tank build on my work bench.
It is very exciting to see a metal track tank build on my work bench.
IMG_8703.jpg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
200 Individual track links to assemble.
200 Individual track links to assemble.
This is one of the larger 1/35 scale tanks available from Tamiya.
This is one of the larger 1/35 scale tanks available from Tamiya.
Last edited by modler on Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/35 Chieftain Mk5 - Friulmodel metal track build

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Patience of a Saint required and those are looking great!
regards
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
modler
Corporal

Re: 1/35 Chieftain Mk5 - Friulmodel metal track build

Post by modler »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
Patience of a Saint required and those are looking great!
regards
Painless
That how I felt when building a set of plastic ITL tracks for a Panzer IV. It took forever just to make 1 track and then it did not fit the sprocket because it was for an "early Panzer IV)". There are a lot of versions available for that Tank and it would not work on my model.

Anyway, I had the plastic ITL track working enough to see that ITL is the way to go. I wanted some success with ITL and realized that metal ITL would be a good one to start with as it is less tedious than "workable" plastic ITL. Now I don't have much experience with workable plastic ITL so if find one thats good I will report it here. I ordered a set of "Magic tracks ITL" tracks but found out they are not "workable" and are for static models. No where does it say "static only" and is very disappointing after wasting the time with those.

So after looking around on ebay I realized that the Chieftain MK 5 is a good candidate for metal tracks as there is only one track available from Fruial so that must mean there are not a bunch of variants like the Panzer III, IV.

Oh, This Tamiya Chieftain is an excellent model for the metal ITL conversion. Oh, there is some nice weight to the model now.

video of left track running
https://youtu.be/JUMwju7NtUE
Attachments
80 track links ready for assembly. About 97 are needed for each side. There are a few steps involved to get the links to this point.
80 track links ready for assembly. About 97 are needed for each side. There are a few steps involved to get the links to this point.
DSM 2 6 channel radio installed and it is now a runner! Notice that small Li-poly, it is more than enough to do the job.
DSM 2 6 channel radio installed and it is now a runner! Notice that small Li-poly, it is more than enough to do the job.
I was eager to test this track so I only built one which took all day and used the supplied poly track for the right side and was able to test and the result was very good. so now it is worth building the right side.
I was eager to test this track so I only built one which took all day and used the supplied poly track for the right side and was able to test and the result was very good. so now it is worth building the right side.
The Tamiya Chieftain motorized remote control model makes this metal track conversion a snap and saves a lot of time and time is money so IMO it was worth the expense to buy this tank as it got me a metal ITL Tank pronto! One screw allows both tracks to be adjusted at the same time. This is ideal for metal track adjustments IMO.
The Tamiya Chieftain motorized remote control model makes this metal track conversion a snap and saves a lot of time and time is money so IMO it was worth the expense to buy this tank as it got me a metal ITL Tank pronto! One screw allows both tracks to be adjusted at the same time. This is ideal for metal track adjustments IMO.
IMG_8710.JPG (81.55 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Last edited by modler on Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: 1/35 Chieftain Mk5 - Friulmodel metal track r\c build vi

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking good, tracks look very good :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

c.rainford73 wrote:Looking good, tracks look very good :thumbup:

Hello rainford73, Yes they are looking good and now they are done and tested and work great! :D

91 track links per side. The Chieftain Mk.5 Friulmodel track kit is EXCELLENT and so is the model itself. I feel this model is an excellant candidate for metal track upgrade.

I know you 1/16 Tankers are used to these metal tracks. I had them on my 1/16 Tamiya Leopard Tank back in the late 70's :O

On a 1/35 scale TANK these tracks are AWESOME!

Video of Chieftain Mk.5 with all metal tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkbb_MMyRKg&t=4s
Attachments
getting ready for body assembly
getting ready for body assembly
test complete next phase ready
test complete next phase ready
IMG_8723.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 927 times
tracks test run a total success
tracks test run a total success
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

This model with Fruilmodel metal tracks is now my #1 Tank in my collection. It is a whole new experience driving it on my work bench track and and is very realistic with the added weight of the metal tracks. Feels like a tank when you pick it up as well.
Attachments
the best 1/35 scale model yet as it comes out of the box. This one is s motorized dual motor remote control right out of the box and was worth every penny.
the best 1/35 scale model yet as it comes out of the box. This one is s motorized dual motor remote control right out of the box and was worth every penny.
IMG_8742.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 906 times
This model is going to get main gun elevation and turret rotation.
This model is going to get main gun elevation and turret rotation.
IMG_8741.jpg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 906 times
body is mounted and is ready for final assembly. Track tension is easily adjusted with one screw thanks to the gearbox mount design.
body is mounted and is ready for final assembly. Track tension is easily adjusted with one screw thanks to the gearbox mount design.
IMG_8740.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Besides running better, isn't that track sag perfect looking!? Yoo Hoo! :thumbup:
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Besides running better, isn't that track sag perfect looking!? Yoo Hoo! :thumbup:

YES Herr Doctor it is 8)
This Tank will get proportional speed main gun elevation and 360 Turret rotation in the near future using MTM parts from the "Tracked vehicle" kit

Dynamic tracked vehicle kit
The elements of this kit are available individually

https://makethemmove.com/en/dynamic/
piknic
Recruit

Post by piknic »

Great conversion. I'm getting my Meng Chieftain mk10. Workable suspension and track links out of box.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”