1/35 M4 Halftrack(s) to RRC Tamiya, Testors

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 M4 Halftrack to radio remote control with MTM gearb

Post by modler »

Captain Morgan wrote:It didn't work because the parent project, which has an L298 chip, needs PWM, inA, inB signals for each motor.
I am not particularly strong in electronics, more precisely, it is often difficult to read the datasheet (English is not my native language). I think DRV8833 will not fit, what do you think?
So far, I have only learned how to design boards in EasyEDA, and then with the help of an autorouter.

I ordered these ESCs to control the RC outputs from the board:

https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005003152945927.html
Do you have a pinout for the L298 chip? If I could see that it would become clear as to what you are doing with it.

The ESC you show does not have voltage requirements as part of the data. I need a bit more info to be able to help. Perhaps a block diagram of what you are doing. Hand written is fine and just post a picture of the block diagram.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

modler wrote:
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you! I clearly understand--and memory confirms---the "escapement" steering. In the late '70s, Ertl sold two RC toy tractors (JD 4430 and IH 1486) with such steering. It was painful to watch, the all-or-nothing movement causing some tricky handling. RIP escapement steering.

I recommend Modler's explanation, immediately-above, to anyone checking this thread. It's well-done.
RIP escapement steering. Lol yes may they rest in pieces.

As you can see the old M4 Is going to get an update 8) I can no longer stand to looks at it in its present form 8O

This update will reunite the well used frame to the well used body and will re-join the ranks of my favorite models Arizona patina as an extra bonus ;)
I took the old escapement from the M4 and converted it to a Servo steering box. I used a standard UM Servo in this one. Because you have to add linkage to the control horn of the Servo to the steering linkage, it takes way more time than using a screw drive Servo. I was determined to make it work with the standard Servo and spent way too much time getting it just right with plenty of throw as you need good steering movement and lots of it in a half track. Next one I will use a screw drive Servo. Anyway, I cut up the the Testers M2-4 or what ever it is to install the reworked steering box in the Testers model. I bought that model 3 years ago at Drug Mart for $14.0 and finally started the process of making it radio controlled today.

Servo gearbox test video
https://youtu.be/lFbILOotNVA
Attachments
The Testers Halftrack now has a Servo steering box and is ready for the next step, A gearbox for the tracks
The Testers Halftrack now has a Servo steering box and is ready for the next step, A gearbox for the tracks
Servo goes in there to make it a Servo steering box
Servo goes in there to make it a Servo steering box
Escapement #2 gutted and ready for a Servo upgrade
Escapement #2 gutted and ready for a Servo upgrade
IMG_8475.jpg (59.1 KiB) Viewed 32278 times
This Diebold factory which made a fair amount of these Halftracks is about 50 miles from my present location
This Diebold factory which made a fair amount of these Halftracks is about 50 miles from my present location
Captain Morgan
Recruit

Post by Captain Morgan »

The little green printed circuit board I've shown in the picture is a stripped down version I created based on the Open Panzer project by the respected LukeZ.

I made it for myself when I was interested in - and whether it is possible to animate - models for gluing. In my childhood, I dreamed of radio-controlled toys, as in this cartoon:

phpBB [video]

(based on the novel by S. King)

I have not tested everything yet, but today I created a 3D model for printing on a 3D printer, to create a gun recoil module, to implement it into a prefabricated model from ZVEZDA KV-1 1:35 scale:

phpBB [video]

As for the connection of the DRV8833 module, the question of controlling it - the main motion motors:

I changed the author's project - I left it on the board (on the board - these are the conclusions on the right) - the conclusions from the main chip, for connecting L298b analogues, you can see this on the author's diagram:

That is, I brought out all the soldering contacts that should go to the L298 chip.

In practice, I can assemble a separate module based on the L298 - with a separate board, solder wires to it from the main board. But the L298 chip, and diodes for it - have to take up a lot of space inside the model.

But I was hoping to use the DRV8833 as half of the L298. This is where my knowledge is lacking.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Captain Morgan

Ok well, I am not clear on what this DRV8833 is driving or controlling. Is this for the recoil motor? As far as PWM input, there is a + and - phase PWM protocol. I ran into that once where the receiver outputs did not seem to work because the Transmitter was the wrong polarity phase (positive phase shift PWM) and the receiver wanted (negative phase shift PWM). So when using PWM, there is a polarity involved and must match between the Transmitted and received PWM. I have a Transmitter that can do both as I use both +\- PWM in my legacy receivers. Of course newer R\C equipment is 2.4G. Anyway, Your project is very interesting but I need more details to be able to help solve the issue.

In standard practice of debugging an electronic design, I use a block diagram with flow chart and Boolean logic truth table of the logic elements in use that explains the principal of operation of the device without specifics of the hardware design. And in this case, mechanical drawings of the device being controlled with electronic interface points outlined would be useful.

This would allow me in an timely manner to diagnose the problem. I wish I could pull a rabbit out of the hat for you with the information you have provided thus far but I need more info to do that.
Last edited by modler on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I am still working on this Halftrack. Yesterday I got to drive it a few minutes before the track idler wheels failed. They are weak on this model and need beefed up. Not doing anything too fancy just fixing the problem with basic repair methods
Attachments
Both of these models are going to run. I have 3 sets of tracks for this model.
Both of these models are going to run. I have 3 sets of tracks for this model.
This is how the idler works on the Testers Halftrack, I used this method on the Tamiya's idler wheels
This is how the idler works on the Testers Halftrack, I used this method on the Tamiya's idler wheels
IMG_8512.jpg (88.29 KiB) Viewed 32253 times
Idler wheel sits in the stock location more or less
Idler wheel sits in the stock location more or less
Had to get creative here as the parts in this area were brittle and had to be cut out and replaced with parts tree material. Steel axle goes through the hole.
Had to get creative here as the parts in this area were brittle and had to be cut out and replaced with parts tree material. Steel axle goes through the hole.
going for assembly here. Track idler wheels being repaired and beefed up.
going for assembly here. Track idler wheels being repaired and beefed up.
Last edited by modler on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

overhauling the Track idle wheels made all the difference :) Now it runs very well and despite my improvised Track roller repair on the right side seems to work very well as a rolling chassis test. Next is to install the body.

Chassis test with MTM gearbox driving the tracks video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNWn3-DFpA
Attachments
Next step is to mount body back on the frame. Oh and to trim that protruding axle lol. The MTM gearbox is hidden under the radio gear.
Next step is to mount body back on the frame. Oh and to trim that protruding axle lol. The MTM gearbox is hidden under the radio gear.
Left side is original parts but now with steel axle for idle wheels. Idle wheel axle will be trimmed.
Left side is original parts but now with steel axle for idle wheels. Idle wheel axle will be trimmed.
The parts that are a different color were the ones that were missing. Improvised "field repair" works well despite its looks.
The parts that are a different color were the ones that were missing. Improvised "field repair" works well despite its looks.
Track idle wheels upgraded to steel axles
Track idle wheels upgraded to steel axles
IMG_8513.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 32251 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok I guess people are wondering if I will get this Halftrack going or what :eh: well I did finally get it going. It took more time than I would have liked but after driving it around on my workbench track I have to say that is was worth it to finally have a 1/35 Halftrack that is running on its factory tracks and rollers. Even though it is beat up and missing some parts it performs better than any other wheeled military model that I have. My M11 Tank transport Trucks can not make it around the track even with rear 8 wheel drive.

Oh and by the way, this build was only possible thanks to the very small MTM gearbox :D

Here is a quick video showing some off road capability of the half track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyauLXvnnKE

This video is a little longer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5irl-t126hs

Slo mo video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qprBPLUgSTY
Attachments
I am considering this model as my next project.
I am considering this model as my next project.
The MTM gearbox made this model as you see it here possible. I know of no other gearbox that is small enough to work in al model like this. This opens up a lot of possibilities for future builds that I will present here.
The MTM gearbox made this model as you see it here possible. I know of no other gearbox that is small enough to work in al model like this. This opens up a lot of possibilities for future builds that I will present here.
IMG_8583.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 32214 times
it is done and is fun to drive around my shop desk.
it is done and is fun to drive around my shop desk.
I figure this model is at least 37 years old (corrected). And regardless of what it looks like, it is Hobby Grade finally and is quite fun to run around my workbench.
I figure this model is at least 37 years old (corrected). And regardless of what it looks like, it is Hobby Grade finally and is quite fun to run around my workbench.
IMG_8535.JPG
test radio installed. DSM2 with 1s ESC with LVC.
test radio installed. DSM2 with 1s ESC with LVC.
Last edited by modler on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Wow: that 's a rugged looking ol' beastie! :D Do go for the Opel Maultier! Remember, it's only money, and if you think you are getting short on space, remember, I once put 2,000+ 1/16 scale model farm tractors and equipment in a 600 sq. ft. basement of my 11-sided home.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Wow: that 's a rugged looking ol' beastie! :D Do go for the Opel Maultier! Remember, it's only money, and if you think you are getting short on space, remember, I once put 2,000+ 1/16 scale model farm tractors and equipment in a 600 sq. ft. basement of my 11-sided home.

I opened the Opel Halftrack kit and looked it over. It has rubber tires and nice tracks. Same tracks as a Panzer II so aftermarket tracks are available if needed. This looks like a good candidate for RRC conversion. From now on, I will make sure any model I build has after market tracks or I will pass. Unfortunately, The Crusader Tank has no aftermarket tracks that I can find at this point, still looking.

I have a few projects in front of it but it will be on the bench soon.
Attachments
Found them!
Found them!
IMG_8869.JPG (92.9 KiB) Viewed 32006 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 M4 Halftrack to radio remote control with 1 MTM gearbox

Post by modler »

Just recently revised the MTM gearbox mount on this M4 Halftrack. It uses one precise self tapping screw to mount to the frame.

I will post pictures asap. Internet not letting me do it at this moment.

I also ordered some additional motors\metal gearboxes (same type that are in the MTM gearbox assemblies (from France) so that I can swap out the motors for a faster speed output. More speed less torque as the Half Track needs very little torque to move and I will trade the torque for speed with a motor swap.

here is a M4 HT video in the meantime
https://youtu.be/IyauLXvnnKE

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”