44 Year old Build Tamiya 1/35 FLAKPanzer VI RC Tank + Video

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
modler
Sergeant

44 Year old Build Tamiya 1/35 FLAKPanzer VI RC Tank + Video

Post by modler »

Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNgWTxGwXk

The Tank featured here is one of my most prized models in my large collection. I say "one of" because I have more survivors from this time period that still operate and a few that are beyond repair (see avatar) 8O

I assembled this Tank in 1978 with the hope of making it Radio Remote Control. At that time, Radio controlled toy grade cars started appearing at the Mall stores. There was no internet at that time and the local Malls featured the latest Tech available to the masses. That is when I started to notice these RC cars. I got the idea that I could use the radio gear in my model tanks as there were relatively inexpensive compared to the HG radio gear available at that time at Hobby Shops. Being a young man at that time I did not have the money required to invest in a HG radio control system which at that time was geared towards Nitro powered Radio control Planes and ESC's were not commonly available anywhere. These TG cars seem to be the answer. So that was my plan for this FLAKPANZER.

I was 21 at this time and had some electronic training under my belt and thought I might try my first "radio control tank build" 8)

So I bought this Tamiya FP VI at the local Mall Hobby shop and after getting it back to my primitive work shop decided to assemble and paint the model and save some money to buy a Toy grade RC car. After some time, I snagged a 2 channel DP Radio control Van and played with it a few days and totally enthusiastic about using this radio gear in my 1/35 scale Tank :) So I removed the screws from the bottom of the Van RC model and marveled at what I saw.....The most high Tech thing that I ever had ever seen! :O

more later ;)

in the mean time, here are a few pictures of one of my first model tank builds 44 years ago. I add more of the story and pictures to this post as time allows.
Attachments
Land mine (m80) damage. You can tell from the bottom that this was a "motorized, motorized remote control" and or SSDM. 3 versions available using this chassis or bottom Hull.
Land mine (m80) damage. You can tell from the bottom that this was a "motorized, motorized remote control" and or SSDM. 3 versions available using this chassis or bottom Hull.
IMG_8171.JPG (71.14 KiB) Viewed 481 times
IMG_8169.JPG
IMG_8169.JPG (79.66 KiB) Viewed 481 times
IMG_8168.JPG
IMG_8168.JPG (69.52 KiB) Viewed 481 times
IMG_8166.JPG
IMG_8166.JPG (66.57 KiB) Viewed 481 times
One track return roller remains
One track return roller remains
IMG_8165 (1).JPG (78.98 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Here are the original tracks, as you can see the FC war of 1979 was intense! It is a wonder that this FLAKPANZER is still with us. It needed extensive repair to return to active duty.
Here are the original tracks, as you can see the FC war of 1979 was intense! It is a wonder that this FLAKPANZER is still with us. It needed extensive repair to return to active duty.
IMG_8164.JPG (82.54 KiB) Viewed 482 times
New tracks recently installed.
New tracks recently installed.
IMG_8161.JPG (82.26 KiB) Viewed 489 times
It still runs and recently got a radio upgrade to a HL 1\30 all channel DP motor control I\R battle capable. I could not even imagine a radio system like this when I initially built this beautiful thing as nothing like this radio gear even existed back then. It would be  "star wars tech"  compared to what was available in 1978.
It still runs and recently got a radio upgrade to a HL 1\30 all channel DP motor control I\R battle capable. I could not even imagine a radio system like this when I initially built this beautiful thing as nothing like this radio gear even existed back then. It would be "star wars tech" compared to what was available in 1978.
IMG_8162.JPG (83.15 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Here it is, well used FLAKPANZER VI that has somehow survived in my collection of model tanks since 1978! This model has been through a lot over the years and is missing a few parts and some chunks of the upper Hull. It was damaged in a "Fire Cracker (FC)" war of 1979 lol...None of the crew are available for comment..I fear they may have been victims of a MASSACRE in the 1979 FC WARS!
Here it is, well used FLAKPANZER VI that has somehow survived in my collection of model tanks since 1978! This model has been through a lot over the years and is missing a few parts and some chunks of the upper Hull. It was damaged in a "Fire Cracker (FC)" war of 1979 lol...None of the crew are available for comment..I fear they may have been victims of a MASSACRE in the 1979 FC WARS!
IMG_8163.JPG (95.63 KiB) Viewed 491 times
1975 FLAKPANZER VI. I don't have the original box and this is a picture on the side of a PANZER VI box that I recently built.
1975 FLAKPANZER VI. I don't have the original box and this is a picture on the side of a PANZER VI box that I recently built.
Last edited by modler on Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 44 Year old Build Tamiya 1/35 FLAKPanzer VI RC Tank

Post by modler »

Attachments
IMG_8185.JPG
Internal Hull latch release tool
Internal Hull latch release tool
Last edited by modler on Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Oooh! That one has been around the block a few times. Have you been thinking "restoration"?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Oooh! That one has been around the block a few times. Have you been thinking "restoration"?
No Herr Dr, I like it just the way it is. 8)

This model is esthetically pleasing to me as I painted the exterior 44 years ago so no plans to tamper with that.However, the FP VI has been "mechanically restored" and upgraded from "single motor motorized" to dual motor radio remote control" and with new tracks and new modern I\R battle capable All channel Digital Proportional radio gear.

If you think this one is beat up, wait till you see my Crusader Mk III :O It also was in the FC war of 1979 and took a direct hit. ASAP will post a picture of it here...
Attachments
Itaileri. This was my first successful radio controlled TANK. I will do a separate "restoration" thread on this one. I have a new one in the box with the cellophane seal still there. Trying to figure out what year it was made. Italeri does not date the chassis like Tamiya as far as I know but there must be some way to tell. I estimate tis one made somewhere around 1978
Itaileri. This was my first successful radio controlled TANK. I will do a separate "restoration" thread on this one. I have a new one in the box with the cellophane seal still there. Trying to figure out what year it was made. Italeri does not date the chassis like Tamiya as far as I know but there must be some way to tell. I estimate tis one made somewhere around 1978
IMG_8182.JPG (84.1 KiB) Viewed 433 times
I will be repairing this one......soon. It is now "resting in pieces" Two of the road wheels still work lol
I will be repairing this one......soon. It is now "resting in pieces" Two of the road wheels still work lol
IMG_8178.JPG (95.68 KiB) Viewed 434 times
These are made in Italy. This one is in a sealed box.
These are made in Italy. This one is in a sealed box.
Last edited by modler on Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Maybe the publisher of the books with the series title Panzerwrecks (https://www.panzerwrecks.com/product-ta ... ks-series/) would be interested in a book on yours. :P
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Bones of a M4 Half track with "real weathering"
Bones of a M4 Half track with "real weathering"
IMG_8190.JPG (54.11 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Maybe the publisher of the books with the series title Panzerwrecks (https://www.panzerwrecks.com/product-ta ... ks-series/) would be interested in a book on yours. :P
Yes Herr Dr. that would be most excellent 8) That gives me an Idea, I have about half a dozen "wrecks" in my Tank junkyard. Maybe I will feature them here under a "Wrecks title" :think:

The M4 HT sat in my Tucson Junkyard for a year or two (84-85). I pulled the chassis out to make the M4 half track radio controlled. My skills at that time were not good enough to incorporate the frame or stock steering linkage. I could do it now and have done a SD.kf.7 half track and used the frame and stock steering linkage B|
Attachments
I have the rest of it somewhere
I have the rest of it somewhere
IMG_8191.JPG (51.3 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Return to “Show Off”